Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"space" won't pause video

Hi, I'm using the latest version of Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and the latest version of itunes 9.0 and found a bug. If I open a video podcast and press the spacebar while the video has focus (is on top of other windows) it won't pause or start, but if I give the itunes window focus the spacebar will pause and play as expected.

I've repaired permissions and still no change.

MacPro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6), Also own a 2X800 quicksilver and performa

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 1:01 AM

9 replies

Oct 17, 2009 8:36 AM in response to cj_nj

If you have a video window open (mine is always on top) and that is the active window - the space bar no longer works. But if you click the minimized iTunes player and make that the active window - then the space bar works. It used to also work in the first case (when the video window itself was the active window). Looking forward to 9.02.

Dec 1, 2009 8:45 AM in response to techtvfan

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and have the same problem. Didn't have it under 10.5.x, with the same version of iTunes (9.0.x).

Worse still, the only way to switch focus to the iTunes window rather than the search bar is to click on one of the tracks--clicking on the window itself does not affect the cursor. I am used to controlling iTunes with the space bar and keyboard shortcuts, not with the F keys, and this is driving me crazy. I hope they fix it soon!

Feb 14, 2010 3:15 PM in response to techtvfan

Hi- I've noticed this problem I think since updating to iTunes 9 (i.e. well before Snow Leopard) but may have a solution/workaround.

I went to System Preferences to try to manually set the keyboard shortcut for Play and Pause to space, but it wouldn't let me define a shortcut with out cmd, opt, ctrl. So I defined opt+space as Play and Pause and restarted iTunes.

On restarting space works perfectly on both video and audio tracks to Play and Pause (as well as my new and now-pointless opt+space shortcut).

Hope this helps someone.

j!

"space" won't pause video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.