Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stereo Mix not cooperating

I am trying to output a mix that came from FCP – I like what I have in STP and want to send an aif for import to FCP.

When I export my aif it does not contain the same tracks as I last heard (mixes in lavs as dominant instead of shotgun, etc.). When I return to the STP mix the tracks previously fine are now simply wrong – hearing seemingly the opposite tracks (R, when I want L). It seems to have something to do with the routing. I suspect it has to do with surround settings embedded in the output as my last project was my first to use surround sound.

I am looking at this because when digging through menus for a solution I see that the multitrack menu gives me an option to add a surround panner, but not the ability to add a stereo panner (the original XDCAm files had L,R audio). It sounds like STP is choosing the wrong channels in the final mix. All sounds fine before I output a mix.

I am looking for how to make sure the project is set as a stereo project and not a surround project, but seem to be missing something. Any thoughts appreciated.

-Bill

MBPro 2.4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), using ine output for speakers

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 8:29 AM

5 replies

Sep 14, 2009 10:41 PM in response to Merged Content 1

Thanks for the response. I do have the submix set to go to stereo. Though the default was to surround (1-6). The system now defaults new submixes to a surround setting (1-6). I hadn't created any surroubnd

A few more details. The project began in FCP. I normally put the shotgun on track 1, lavs on track 2. This came across to STP. When I listen to the mix all sounds as intended. It's not until I export a mix that the track routing changes. After the mix when I listen to the mix in STP or review the aif in FCP (or quicktime) channel 1 now has the lavs and are dominant. Odd. I've had to go with my mix from FCP and forgo the sweetening I've liked in STP as I can't seem to solve this issue. Tomorrow I'll see if I get the same behavior in the desktop G5.

Sep 14, 2009 10:43 PM in response to Merged Content 1

Thanks for the response. I do have the submix set to go to stereo. Though the default was to surround (1-6). The system now defaults new submixes to a surround setting (1-6). I hadn't created any surround before the prior project, now I can't get away from it.

A few more details. The project began in FCP. I normally put the shotgun on track 1, lavs on track 2. This came across to STP. When I listen to the mix all sounds as intended. It's not until I export a mix that the track routing changes. After the mix when I listen to the mix in STP or review the aif in FCP (or quicktime) channel 1 now has the lavs and are dominant. Odd. I've had to go with my mix from FCP and forgo the sweetening I've liked in STP as I can't seem to solve this issue. Tomorrow I'll see if I get the same behavior in the desktop G5.

Nov 2, 2009 7:28 PM in response to Coruway

I'm having the same type of problem.

I shoot with an HMC150, Log & Transfer in FCP, add my footage to the timeline and split the stereo pair, keep the track I want, pan to center, continue.

Then I send my sequence to STP. Everything comes in fine. I finish the mix and export a stereo file to bring back to FCP. No matter what I do, whatever was on channel 2 of the camera master will not come through in the final mix. It's like the track is muted. Channel 1 is not coming through instead of channel 2, just nothing coming through where there should be sound from the shotgun.

Stereo Mix not cooperating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.