Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't stop iChat server/jabber

Hello,
I did an upgrade from 10.5 server to 10.6. Afterwards my ichat server is stopped and cannot be started. Additionally all my settings have been wiped and nothing can be modified. Anybody have any solutions? Thanks,

-Jon

Quicksilver, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 11:57 AM

17 replies

Sep 15, 2009 10:47 AM in response to nei0angei0

No, I wanted to make this Very clear. Every single other services work as expected. iChat and iChat alone is the only one malfunctioning. Heres the breakdown:
1. The log says unavailable. It has not history at all. Any attempt to click and choose the log source has no effect. All the drop downs are grayed out
2. The settings screen is completely grayed out as well, it has all default settings and they cannot be altered.
3. The Start and Stop buttons are not present. Additionally choosing File-> Start service is grayed out as well.

Apples solution to the problem is to reinstall the server.

Sep 15, 2009 11:00 AM in response to nei0angei0

I would expect to see some evidence of the problem from the systems logs.
From the command line type *grep jabberd /var/log/system.log* and post back any thing that you get back. If you get a lot of data, post something that you feel looks like a problem.

If nothing comes back, issue this command *sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.jabber.jabberd.plist*

and then try the grep or better still look to see what turns up in the system.log (which you can see from the main screen on the Systems Admin Application)

post the output from the command *ls -l /etc/jabberd*

Sep 18, 2009 9:37 AM in response to Tim Harris

Have this problem too on a new install on new XServe.
All other colab services are working 100%

no lines of interest in syslog

*sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.jabber.jabberd.plist*
nothing found to load

*ls -l /etc/jabberd*
total 72
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 19309 Jul 26 04:59 c2s.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 19098 Jul 26 04:59 c2s.xml.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 594 Jul 26 04:59 jabberd.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 548 Jul 26 04:59 jabberd.cfg.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 1351 Jul 26 04:59 muc-jcr.xml
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 3361 Jul 26 04:59 resolver.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 3304 Jul 26 04:59 resolver.xml.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 1704 Jul 26 04:59 router-filter.apple.xml
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 1344 Jul 26 04:59 router-filter.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1344 Jul 26 04:59 router-filter.xml.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 241 Jul 26 04:59 router-users.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 258 Jul 26 04:59 router-users.xml.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 8071 Jul 26 04:59 router.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6488 Jul 26 04:59 router.xml.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 8356 Jul 26 04:59 s2s.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 7312 Jul 26 04:59 s2s.xml.dist
-rw------- 1 _jabber wheel 29238 Jul 26 04:59 sm.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 27935 Jul 26 04:59 sm.xml.dist
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jul 26 04:59 templates

Sep 18, 2009 10:23 AM in response to Joe Mattiello

um... and can you post the output of *cat /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.jabber.jabberd.plist*

also do you have the contents of the /etc/jabbard from 10.5 before you did the upgrade?

finally there should be a file /Library/Logs/Migration/jabbermigrator.log which is an audit trail of the migration process. Can you please post the content of that log.

Sep 18, 2009 10:51 AM in response to Tim Harris

If you're referring to me, it was a fresh install.
Well technically it was working, but I did a format and re-install from the Snow Leo disk to start from scratch again. This is when it stopped working, though the setup wizard crashed at some point near the end and I did the rest by hand using Server Admin. Maybe this is what caused it.

I fixed it semi-painlessly though.

From a terminal you can do,
*open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Server\ Install\ Disc/System/Installation/Packages/*

I then re-installed ServerEssentials.pkg (and ServerAdminTools but probably not necessary). On a desktop client the server now showed up on the list of configurable servers. I did the remote setup steps again and everything came online, no reboot.
All my previous settings were still there, directory accounts, etc, but now iChat and Push services started.

Message was edited by: Joe Mattiello

* Note: Push wouldn't start either originally, but I thought it was known that Push doesn't work without iChat, or at least I read that in another thread. They seem to be linked somewhat.

Can't stop iChat server/jabber

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.