Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder - Cannot double click items to open

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, intermittently I have been unable to double click some items to open them in their default programs. I can go into the program and open them via File - Open.

If I double click an item with it's default program open, nothing happens. If I double click an item and the program is not open, the program bounces in the dock and does not open.

Same for .dmg files. If I download them, I can only open them using Disk Utility.

These problems are not present when I boot up. They only happen at some point later. A restart fixes the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 4:30 PM

20 replies

Sep 18, 2009 9:45 AM in response to marminio

I am having same problem with some Word files, but only some. Some of them will open with double click in finder window, but others won't. Happens when Word is running and when it is not (when double click on problem file, Word opens, but in new document). The only way to open is to go to Open in file menu and then locate the file through the many nests of folders and sub-folders. Not sure if this was 10.6 or 10.6.1, since I did both very close in time.

Sep 27, 2009 7:13 PM in response to marminio

I am also experiencing this, I thought i was the only one! lol - I have tried a clean install, repairing permissions etc, nothing fixes it EXCEPT a reboot. I notice it mainly with DMG, PDFS and ZIP/archive files.. the first poster describes the symptom perfectly. Seems really bizarre.

Has anyone found out whats causing this yet? I thought 10.6.1 would fix it, but sadly it did not...

Sep 30, 2009 9:54 AM in response to marminio

I am having the same issue with my machine, and 3 other iMac machines. All updated to 10.6.1. At first I thought it was just attachments in e-mails not opening correctly... Then I discovered that double-clicking, or right (option) clicking and choosing open, or open with, did not do anything. If the default program for that file is open, it will take you to the program but will not open anything. I have found this to be a problem with .pdf, .doc, .docx, .jpg files. I tried deleting the finder preference file, which has done nothing. No solutions as of yet.

Oct 23, 2009 2:21 PM in response to JustinBrasdf

I've got the same issue. Word files are the biggest problem, but also noticing it with a few others. The files which won't open with a double click also won't open when I drag and drop them onto the appropriate dock icon.

How can such a basic feature of the Finder not work well for so many people? I bought a brand spankin' new MacBook Pro two weeks ago and since it had a SL CD in it, I figured I'd go ahead with the upgrade, even though I'm usually a late adopter. Seriously considering a downgrade until they get it right.

Oct 28, 2009 3:10 PM in response to marminio

I too have this problem. Double-clicking on some files or icons to open - such as my hard drive or an email - does nothing. I can launch Firefox and Word by double clicking, but as someone else wrote, can't open individual word files by just double-clicking on them in my hard drive.

By the way, for me, restarting doesn't help.

Please - can someone from Apple help us? This really seems to be a problem!

Nov 7, 2009 7:29 PM in response to RAM

Hey guys! I want to let you know I was having this problem to.

However the solution for me was much simpler than I expected. It turns out all I needed to do was slow down my double click speed in System Preferences under the "Mouse"option. In my case I put it to the slowest option possible and it appears to be working just fine. Hope this helps others with this problem.

Finder - Cannot double click items to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.