Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

conflicts between newly created and previous LDAP/ODM - users disappear

We had troubles with our ODM where no new users could be created any more. We switched do standalone and tried setting up new ODM from scratch.
Everything was fine & ok first (DNS & Kerberos were ok, authentication was no problem). But suddenly we found that somehow the old LDAP db was interfering with the new one. Examples: I created some groups and users, some of both disappeard after a while in WGM, but were still there in dscl. Those were the exact users we had the same problems before with the previous install. Most of the groups show up twice in server admin, when setting permissions and acls for the shares - one of the entries always showing gid number from the older ODM and these ones don't show up in WGM as well.

My users (and I) are very frustrated about permanent file sharing and log in issues. So I am considering to once again rebuild ODM from scratch. But this time, I'd like to see if there is a way to completely purge any existing older entries anywhere on the system that could interfere with the new configuration.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Hakan

Xserve 2.26 QC Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 2:43 AM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2009 2:25 PM in response to playersons

Yes they are still there. You need to check WGM and then View -> show system users and groups. Then switch to the local default node and look to see if they are there or not as well as in the LDAP directory. Not sure why your seeing this but this was fixed in 10.5 i think after the 10.5.1 update or 10.5.3. Did you do an upgrade from 10.5 or a fresh install?

conflicts between newly created and previous LDAP/ODM - users disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.