Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Ram Test failed

Hi there,

this is what came for the tech tool deluxe report :

Video RAM
Failed
Video RAM, as all components of your video circuitry, must be fully functional for graphics to be properly displayed. Damaged VRAM can cause missing bits, screen noise, system lock ups, or freezes. TechTool Deluxe tests the VRAM on the Macintosh main logic board, as well as some third-party video cards.

MacBook Pro 15"inch, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 5:27 AM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2009 7:30 AM in response to jackjones132

So.....are you getting actual symptoms outside of what TechTools reports?

What video chipset is in your MBP? Do: About this Mac > More info... to launch System Profiler. Select "Graphics/Displays" from the left pane and post the info that displays in the main pane, down to the part that starts the "Displays" section. One of those parameters listed can indicate failure of the graphics chipset.

Sep 16, 2009 1:51 AM in response to Allan Jones

*@allan jones*

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Thanks

Message was edited by: jackjones132

Dec 7, 2009 2:40 PM in response to Allan Jones

I've had the same problem. I noticed that, since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I've been getting a lot (i.e., memories of my old PC days) of crashes for no apparent reason, plus I'll get an occasional horizontal line that etches across the display (seems linked to a particular window, though -- if I minimize the window, it goes away, if I bring the window back, the line is still there).

Disk Utility found nothing wrong. I ran Disk Warrior, which found some stuff that needed tweaking and fixed it. Then I ran TechTool (after upgrading to the new Snow Leopard-friendly version) and it gave me the same Video RAM error.

I thought maybe there WAS something wrong with my video RAM, but now that I see a few others have had the same problem, I'm not so sure...

Have you folks also had the same "symptoms" I described above, or is it just the TechTool reporting issue?

Thanks,
Alyssa

Video Ram Test failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.