Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want Only Top Sites I Select!

Is there a way to configure Safari to save only sites I specifically drag into Top Sites? I think the Top Sites idea is in general a nice concept, but I don't want or need the program to clutter my life with sites I don't explicitly indicate I'd like to show up there. Seems like it'd be a trivial option to implement, or have I overlooked a setting somewhere?

-Steve

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 11:20 AM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2009 12:40 PM in response to Shotster

Shotster wrote:
Is there a way to configure Safari to save only sites I specifically drag into Top Sites?

Yes, there is! I think I've answered my own question! Proceed as follows...

Go to your Top Sites and click the Edit button in the lower left. Delete the site in the upper left by clicking the "X". The sites will rearrange, and a new one will appear in the upper left. Delete it in the same manner and continue to do so, clicking madly until all sites and empty site holders are gone and you're left with a completely blank slate. Now click the Done button in the lower left. That's it!

Henceforth, only sites you add to your Top Sites will show up there, and Safari will not automatically add sites. (At least it hasn't yet for me! If it does, I'll post back and complain some more.)

-Steve

Sep 24, 2009 10:59 AM in response to Shotster

Ok, unfortunately, my suggestion doesn't work 100% of the time. I can't quite figure out how Safari decides what to put in the top sites, but I seems to favor sites that are already in your bookmarks. Anyway, this is really annoying. I don't need this clutter in my life. Apple needs to implement a simple checkbox option in the prefs allowing the user to indicate if they want the automatic behavior or not. I can appreciate that Apple wants to experiment with a little artificial intelligence, but given that artificial stupidity hasn't even been perfected yet, they should certainly provide an option to toggle that behavior off.

-Steve

Want Only Top Sites I Select!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.