Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesnt recognize iPhone

After Snow Leopard install my iPhoto doesnt recognize my iPhone any more. Someone with the same problem?

MacBook Pro 15", iMac 24" & iPhone 16GB, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 11:59 AM

27 replies

Sep 16, 2009 11:48 PM in response to Martin Ericson

Martin -

So believe it or not. I got it working again basically by chance.

Knowing that I may have to take the iPhone into the Apple store, I deleted a bunch of photos that I didn't want at lunch. Anyways, I got home and connected the iPhone to my Mac and got a surprise. iPhoto started up and the iPhone was recognized. It imported the remaining photos without any issue.

The only difference between today and yesterday was the fact that the number of photos dropped from 32 or so to 4. So I started taking photos with the iPhone to get the number on the iPhone to 52. Reconnected the iPhone and it worked perfectly.

So the only other factor that I can tell is the type of photos I had on my iPhone. The batch of photos on the iPhone when it wouldn't even be recognized included photos that I had received in email and saved to the camera roll. The four photos I left on the iPhone were ones that I had taken.

So the question needs to be asked. Do you have any photos in the camera roll that you saved from an email?

Sep 17, 2009 9:25 PM in response to Martin Ericson

I can report after much testing that the issue is absolutely related to photos that were saved from e-mail to the camera roll. Why, I have no idea, but that's it. Couldn't get my iPhone 3GS to launch iPhoto or be recognized in iPhoto or Image Capture until I deleted photos that I saved from email. Then it was fine. Strange bug that didn't start until 3.1, but that's clearly it.

Sep 22, 2009 9:54 PM in response to Martin Ericson

I lost the ability to sync my iphone with iphoto a few days ago. I was on the phone with apple for over an hour. They decided it was either a software issue with the 3.1 update or hardware with just my phone. My husbands 3gs still syncs fine. SO, today while close to the Apple store I took my chance on seeing someone at the bar. They actually seen me and after restoring as I had already done decided it was the phone and exchanged it for me. Soooo...I get home and ck and the phone opens iphoto fine. I have to update the phone to 3.1 so after doing that and by sync and restore from back up. Once again, iphoto does NOT see my phone! Still sees my husband's fine.

Sep 25, 2009 11:34 AM in response to CFRT

Same problem here, two iPhones, both 3.1, one works OK the other doesn't show in iPhoto or Image Capture.
Then stumbled upon the solution by Scott Kleinberg on the ChigacoNow website (seen link below) it works as follows:
on the iPhone: delete all the images that are not Camera-images (i.e. saved images from web pages or email), then connect the iPhone and it will now show up in Image Capture.
And from then on, the saved images from web-pages and emails are no longer a problem.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/iphone-therefore-iblog/2009/09/iphoto-doesnt-rec ognize-iphone.html

Sep 27, 2009 8:50 AM in response to C110User

On my 10.6.1 machine, iPhoto does not recognize my 3.1 iphone. Image capture show my iphone but will not read the photos and stops at 33 images in its count. I have over 2000 pics. On a 10.5 machine all is well and my iphone is fully recognized by iPhoto.

This is a specific usb 10.6.1 bug as far as I am concerned. I do not have any photos that are saved from emails or other sources on my phone camera roll. Looking forward to the fix.

iPhoto doesnt recognize iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.