Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One time out of ten I get a gray screen on boot-up

Everything seems to run just fine since I installed SL except once in a while I get a gray screen on boot-up. I have to turn off power and re-boot and it so far has always booted up when I do that.

Anyone know what might be causing my problem?

Mac Pro 2.66 5gb ram, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 4:39 PM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2009 8:03 PM in response to Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Try resetting the SMC.

To reset the SMC on a Mac Pro:

From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
Wait at least fifteen seconds.
Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
Press the power button to start up your computer.
Another way to reset the SMC on a Mac Pro computer is:

From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
Open and remove the metallic outer door.
Press the SMC_RST switch that is located slightly below and to the right of the row of diagnostic LEDs. Use a non-metallic, non-conductive object, such as a wooden pencil. Note: Mac Pro (Early 2008) does not have an SMC_RST switch, refer to the reset procedure steps in the previous section.
Replace the metallic outer door.
Press the power button to start up your computer.

From here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806

Carolyn 🙂

One time out of ten I get a gray screen on boot-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.