Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue With Java Installation... Reinstall Java SE 1.6?

Hi,

I have been experiencing issues with ooTunes server, and in working with the developer, I have come across some oddities with my Java installation under 10.6.1. The ooTunes server was working without issue until a day or so ago, about the time I applied the latest PB of DEVONthink Pro Office (PB 7) (I added the optional component ABBYY FineReader OCR). In any case, I am now receiving "Could not initialize class javax.crypto.SunJCE_b" errors when I attempt to reconfigure the ooTunes server. The developer feels that my issue may be related to a bad Java installation because of this error message.

In any case, is there a way to reinstall the current version of JRE that ships with 10.6? I don't see any Java downloads for 10.6.x. Does this mean I have to reinstall (or reupgrade) 10.6 from the DVD? I didn't see any Java .pkg files on the DVD (or in the main installation program package).

Is this the only method to install the shipping version of Java on an existing 10.6.1 installation? I read elsewhere that I could also install older versions of Java onto 10.6.1 as well, but I'd rather get things back to the way they were before trying to previous version support.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rocky

Message was edited by: Rocky Pope

Mac Pro 2x2 2.66 GHz 11 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 1:43 AM

1 reply

Sep 16, 2009 9:02 AM in response to Rocky Pope

OK, I discovered the source of my issue.

I was intending on installing the unlimited strength Java cryptography extension policy files because I wanted to install SimpleAuthority. I started the process (renaming the existing files to .jar.original), became side tracked on something else, and eventually rebooted. I then ended up killing the ability to use SSL. +If I hadn't configured Spaces,+ I would have noticed the still renamed files before starting anything else, let alone rebooting the box. Yeah, right.

Lesson learned! Further headaches avoided.

Don't get old and forgetful like me!

Rocky

Issue With Java Installation... Reinstall Java SE 1.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.