Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine won't automatically backup after SL upgrade

After I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6, I updated to 10.6.1. Then I mounted my TM disk but the backup didn't start automatically. Every time I mount my TM I have to manually start the backup. I tried to turn TM off and back on, but no success. I also tried to select "none" disk, then reselect my TM disk, it didn't work as well.

Everything is working perfect, except that TM backup won't start automatically.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks,

richard

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 9:02 AM

4 replies

Sep 16, 2009 10:52 AM in response to therichard

therichard wrote:
After I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6, I updated to 10.6.1. Then I mounted my TM disk but the backup didn't start automatically. Every time I mount my TM I have to manually start the backup. I tried to turn TM off and back on, but no success. I also tried to select "none" disk, then reselect my TM disk, it didn't work as well.

Everything is working perfect, except that TM backup won't start automatically.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

That's odd. When you turn it on, does it show something like "next backup in 120 seconds" and a countdown (I forget the exact wording)? If so, what happens when it gets to zero?

You might want to try a full reset of TM, per item #B3 of the Time Machine - Troubleshooting *User Tip.*

Sep 16, 2009 12:19 PM in response to therichard

therichard wrote:
Thanks. I tried that, no success unfortunately. One more thing: when the TM disk mounts, it shows the orange icon. After I force the backup, the icon turns green (i.e. the default TM icon).

That's normal.

When you turn TM on, what does it show after *Next Backup:* ? A time, or something like "next backup in 120 seconds" and a countdown (I forget the exact wording)? If so, what happens when it gets to zero?

When you "force the backup," do you mean doing a +Back Up Now+ ?

Sep 16, 2009 1:41 PM in response to Pondini

When I turned TM on, it showed the countdown. But I didn't wait for the zero and I did a "back up now."

I mounted the TM disk a few minutes ago, it showed the orange icon, and after more or less half a minute idle, it started the backup automatically. Before the upgrade to SL, it would start the backup as soon as the disk mounted.

When I say that "I force the backup" it means that I do a "back up now".

Thanks.

Time Machine won't automatically backup after SL upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.