Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

British English and Snow Leopard

6300 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2010 5:36 AM by Stamatis Kapetanakis RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
Kris Jones Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 16, 2009 11:00 AM
Hitherto I've never had any difficulty in getting my Mac to recognise British spelling. However, that seems to have changed with Snow Leopard. I keep the check language and grammar settings switched on and every time I type text using an English spelling (like "recognise" above), it indicates it is wrong with the red underlining.

I have used the Language and Text preferences to show British English as my only choice in both the Language and Text sections. My region is set to UK and the Input section has only the British keyboard switched on. Additionally, if I call up the "Show Spelling and Grammar" box, it shows British English as the chosen option. I'm therefore baffled as to why my system marks British spellings as wrong.

I had thought of trashing the relevant preference file and starting again. However, I can't find a .plist file that holds the relevant settings.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can resolve this? Any help will be gratefully received.
iMac 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo 17 inch, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Boot Camp 3.0. Windows XP Pro SP3
  • K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,215 points)
    Sep 16, 2009 11:28 AM (in response to Kris Jones)
    Hitherto I've never had any difficulty in getting my Mac to recognise British spelling

Seems there is now a declination twixt British spelling and British pronunciation.

Open Dictionary and peruse preferences forthwith to learn more.
    Intel iMac, 10.6.1
  • Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (70,815 points)
    Sep 16, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to Kris Jones)
    . Additionally, if I call up the "Show Spelling and Grammar" box, it shows British English as the chosen option. I'm therefore baffled as to why my system marks British spellings as wrong.

What apps exactly? TextEdit?
    iMac Intel/2C2D, eMac G4/700, Mac OS X (10.6), 10.5, 10.4, 10.3, 9.2
    Sep 16, 2009 11:46 AM (in response to K T)
    Dictionary.app has no connection with the OS X spellchecker.
  • Peter Bovis Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)
    Sep 16, 2009 12:41 PM (in response to Kris Jones)
    Kris

I am using SL 10.6.1 and my dictionary does recognise, recognise without underlining the word in red, as shown here!

You need to update your profile as it does not indicate your using SL

Regards
    iMac 24inch 2.8ghz 4Gb RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.1), iPod Classic 160Gb, iPod Touch 16GB
  • Peter Bovis Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)
    Sep 16, 2009 1:28 PM (in response to Kris Jones)
    Kris

As you see here there are different glitches with SL, I have it seems been lucky, so far I have had only one problem and that has been sorted by reading these forums.

Even my software that is not on the list of compatible software, seem to work okay, yet others are reporting problems which I do not have.

Have you tried repairing "permissions" and then doing a re-start, it odd how such simple tricks solve seemingly impossible problems.

Good luck, be interested to know if you find an answer.

Regards
    iMac 24inch 2.8ghz 4Gb RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.1), iPod Classic 160Gb, iPod Touch 16GB
    Sep 16, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to Tom Gewecke)
    Tom Gewecke wrote:
    Dictionary.app has no connection with the OS X spellchecker.

They are connected via their heritage - Apple.

Apple has sensibly chosen British pronunciation over spelling as witnessed in Dictionary's prefs. The carryover is obvious.
    Intel iMac, 10.6.1
    Sep 16, 2009 1:59 PM (in response to K T)
    The carryover is obvious.

There isn't any carryover. I have no problem running British English spelling checking on my system. If you can't do it, something is broken on yours.
    Sep 16, 2009 5:04 PM (in response to Kris Jones)
    none of the familiar troubleshooting routines

Did you also try creating a new user and logging into that?
    Sep 16, 2009 5:45 PM (in response to Kris Jones)
    the results are the same.

That would seem to indicate a system level problem, but exactly what it could be is a mystery...
    Sep 16, 2009 6:03 PM (in response to Tom Gewecke)
    There isn't any carryover

With Apple having the final word on how both are deployed and configured in OS X, there can be nothing but carryover. They don't arrive at the user's desktop by separate routes. Think about the impact from that...the bigger picture. Any recent changes simply prove that out. Nothing's broken...just changed.
    Intel iMac, 10.6.1
1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.