11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2009 12:10 PM by Ziatron
Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,755 points)
I use both iMovie 06 and iMovie 09 (iMovie 06 about 90%, iMovie 09 about 10%) with iDVD 09 on OS 10.5.8 without any issues.

Most Mac owners I know are using iMovie 06 with iLife 09.

How is iMovie 06 and Snow Leopard working for you? Have you done any still images in iMovie 06 and Snow Leopard?

Some say Snow Leopard is compatible with iMovie 06 others say it is not.

Without iMovie 06 compatibility many will have to skip 10.6 or create a Dual Boot OS so they can have both 10.5 and 10.6.

Thanks for your input.
  • donv (The Ghost) Level 5 Level 5 (4,600 points)
    Don't know why I didn't think of this before. [This list|http://snowleopard.wikidot.com> implies that 06 is likely to be mostly OK. And [this one|http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258] does not mention 06 as being incompatible.
  • Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,755 points)
    Thanks, I had seen those links. I was hoping to here from actual iMovie 06 and OS 10.6 users.
  • Bootamac Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    I don't use either program, but I tried the two versions that I have installed and iMovie HD 6.0.3 opens up and iMovie 7.1.4 just hangs. It could be that xslimmer's slimming process caused that issue, but I don't know.

Message was edited by: Bootamac
  • ChrisRR Level 3 Level 3 (920 points)
    Well, I've just started iMovie 06 to see for myself, and guess what? It crashes, then crashes. Started it up again and, it crashed.

So in my case at least, no it doesn't work.
    This is an Apple program that is incompatible with an Apple OS.
    How much like Windows XP do we want to be?
    Time to upgrade to either Leopard or Windows 7 I think?
  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (62,210 points)
    Interestingly enough, iMovie HD6.app, v. 6.0.4 launches and runs without issues; however, I didn't create any movies, but did run through most menu options and no crashes. You might try removing the plist file from ~/Library/Preferences/ and reinstalling.
  • Bootamac Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Well I can sign on as a different user and imovie 7.1.4 loads up without any problem. imovie 6.03 loads under all users.

So its worth a try to sign on under another user and try the program that crashes and see if that helps. I didn't create the other user as I have more than one user already established on my system.
    Interestingly enough, iMovie HD6.app, v. 6.0.4 launches and runs without issues; however, I didn't create any movies, but did run through most menu options and no crashes.

The complaint that I've heard with 10.6 and iMovie 06 are the use of still photos.

Can you try that?

I teach introductory video editing, and I must use iMovie 06 (with iDVD 09) because iMovie 08 and 09 are such a great departure from the way all other video editing software works.

Final Cut Express is to hard for beginners, and I really don't want to use Windows (as others that teach video editing have done).
  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (62,210 points)
    Sorry, no. I don't have any still photos on the machine and never made a movie with them. Since you teach this stuff, you should be able to upgrade a machine with SL and check it out.

The complaint that I've heard with 10.6 and iMovie 06 are the use of still photos.

That isn't very useful without the exact problems. Alternatively, you might try the iMovie forum at
    http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=141
    you should be able to upgrade a machine with SL and check it out.

I guess I will be the tester.
  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (43,325 points)
    iMovie HD 6.0.3 runs fine with still clips on my MacBook Pro.
    I don't know if you can start iMovie without loading the last project, but it could be choking on the project it is trying to load. Maybe deleting the plist as mentioned above.
    Thanks Barney!

This is the first positive post I've heard about iMovie 06 and 10.6.

We would like to get 10.6 for our Macs, but we must use iMovie 06 (with iDVD 09) for teaching purposes. We use Mac Pros.

Please post again as you learn more.