Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups Disappeared

My Time Machine backup has disappeared. That is, Time Machine Preferences show tons of space available; the oldest backup as April 17, 2008; and the latest backup as today, 7:35 a.m. All fine so far.

But when I enter Time Machine to restore something, the only thing that shows is the current state. No indication of anything earlier. No ability to move back in time.

I do know that prior to upgrading to Snow Leopard, everything was there -- because I had to erase the hard disk and do a complete Time Machine restoration before Snow Leopard would install. So the older stuff was there. And if I mount the "Backup of Cave" (my computer name) on the Desktop, I can see "backups.backupdb" folder, and open it and see the various past backup folders and see the files in them. So the data is there, but Time Machine isn't getting to it.

Anyone have any ideas? I care both because I do want good Time Machine backups, and because (probably unrelated) iPhoto recently lost all of my recent vacation photos, so I'd like to restore them from backup.

-Lofty

Mac Pro dual core, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 17, 2009 5:26 AM

7 replies

Time Machine Backups Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.