Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Question

I bought a macbook and used migration assistant to copy from my imac. The total imac HD was mirrored... I don't remember migration assistant asking what I wanted transferred. Now I just ordered my second imac (Loaded) and want to use migration assistant again. Is there a way to do a selection of what will be transferred, maybe just my address book and emails but not all the old applications on the older imac. When I first start my new imac and migration assistant asks if I want to transfer data, will I get to choose which data to transfer?

Imac 24, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, 24" imac, 3.0g 1 T HD,

Posted on Sep 17, 2009 11:52 AM

3 replies

Sep 17, 2009 1:43 PM in response to Jo Biscuits

Migration Assistant can individually transfer the Applications and Home folders. It is not an individual file copy agent. For that it would be easier to get a USB flash drive to move the files you need from one computer to the other. Or you can connect them via Target Disk Mode to transfer files and folders. If you have a home network this could also be done over the network using File Sharing (setup using the File Sharing preferences.)

Sep 18, 2009 1:21 PM in response to Kappy

Okay, So let me understand this fully. Migration Assistant will ask me to select which applications and which folder to transfer... but not transfer one file in a folder. Is that correct? Also maybe you could help with another question. I really would like to delete files before transferring my old mac. Do you suggest any special software to do this?

Sep 18, 2009 7:45 PM in response to Jo Biscuits

Deleting files just involves dragging them to the Trash and emptying the Trash. No special software required.

Migration Assistant can transfer your Applications and Home folders and your preferences. You cannot select which applications, but it will only transfer the third-party applications.

I'm not sure what it is you plan to transfer that you haven't already since you said you've already used Migration Assistant to transfer from your old machine to your new one.

Migration Assistant Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.