Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending converted file to a PC.

To Dick Napoli:
Let me clarify two things. 1: I DO have Quicktime Pro. 2: I need to convert movie files from Quicktime to something else that I can send to a PC and that can be opened by said PC. I converted a Quicktime file into AVI with your values. It was OK quality but quite large. I sent it as a test to my PC and it came up as an "octet-stream"(?) file that the PC could not open. I also tried an Mpeg4 file and the PC couldn't open that, either. Is there a actually a way to do this?

Posted on Oct 28, 2005 6:56 AM

2 replies

Oct 28, 2005 7:02 AM in response to Christina Jansson

I hope i understood your problem right:
You are trying to send those movies directly as an attachement to an email address ?

There are alot of different file-codecs, which aren't transferred by the email-system in the right manner.

Have you tried to pack your movies into a "zip-file" and send it as a zipped attachement-file ??

This should solve the case anytime, with any file-format you are trying to send, since zip-files are esspecially well handed by email-progs ... (so would be JPG or BMP pictures, can be send directly, but movie-coded files like mpg, mov, avi or whatever should be zipped before...)

Oct 28, 2005 7:21 AM in response to Christina Jansson

Some ways to scale down the Cinepak avi size include reducing the FPS to 15 from 30, making sure you use 320x240 frame size, and reducing the datarate from the 180KBytes I suggested to perhaps 150 or lower. SInce the avi export screen does not include a size box you would have to make sure the document window you are exporting from is 320x240. Drag it by the lower-right corner while keeping an eye on the MovieInfo window, as it shows the current size each time you stop dragging the window. The avi export should use this current size for the avi.
Make sure your export has an .avi extension, as PCs usually still rely on the extension to decide what application to use to open a file. My experience has been with Window98SE and avi files are always opened in Windows Media Player unless I drop the file icon on the QT Player icon or some other video player on the Windows desktop.
I can't help you with regard to finding a PC app that plays .mp4 files, in case your PC does not have at least QT 6 installed. Again, the extension is important even if you have WIndows set to hide well-known extensions, or how ever it is worded.
As a last resort you may want to consider using mpeg-1 compression instead of QT if you want to be absolutely sure a PC will read the fie. FFmpgX is one shareware OS X app that can produce mpeg-1 files, although I am sure there are others.

Sending converted file to a PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.