Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime X uses incorrect aspect ratio for camcorder H.264 video

Good morning, all. I'm running Snow Leopard and have a serious issue with QuickTime X. I have a Samsung HMX-H100N/XAA camcorder that records H.264 video in either 720p or 1080i. In either of these resolutions, QuickTime X (and, by extension, all QuickTime-associated applications like FCP, iMovie, etc.) displays an incorrect aspect ratio for all video produced by this camcorder. For example, 720p video is reported as being 1280x720 in the movie inspector (which is normal), but the displayed size is always at an aspect ratio of something like 63:20 (never heard of such a ratio) with sizes like 1700x539.

If I open the video in QuickTime 7 player on the same computer, it is displayed correctly. If I process the video through something like MPEG Streamclip to transcode it, it displays correctly. Is there anything that can be done? Help!

MacBook pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 19, 2009 8:09 AM

12 replies

Oct 14, 2009 2:09 AM in response to AdamRobinson

Same camcoder, same issue.
Hope they will fix it soon.
If you use Standard Definition, the aspect ratio is right. If you use HD (1080 or 720) aspect ratio is wrong.
The problem is about every Quicktime X - related app: Quick Look, iMovie, and so on. I think there is an "engine" or a codec issue, and probably Quicktime 7 on Snow Leopard uses a different egnine or some different codecs.
This morning's iMovie update didn't fix the problem, and I'm a bit frustrated for that.

Oct 22, 2009 2:05 PM in response to 8ball99

Hi, I ran into the 'wrong aspect ratio' problem in May when I tried to edit the files from my then brand new HMX-H105. You can read about it here.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10418009

In short, at that time my files played fine in QT player (7.x) but did not import properly in iMovie (8.0.1 and .2).

I installed Snow Leopard today and was hoping for a solution for iMovie. Instead, I now have the same problem in QT player as well, 😟. At least, this way it is very obvious that there is a problem!

Let's hope for a fix in QT soon. Also, it would be nice to get some kind of feedback from Apple - what is the cause of this problem and are they working on fixing it?

/jonas

Jan 6, 2010 9:08 AM in response to AdamRobinson

I got one of these cameras for Christmas, and after reading this post I decided to go to my local electronics store and record some test movies.

What I discovered is that the movie files (the .mp4 files) do indeed have the wrong aspect ratio when played in isolation, but if I use iMovie to import the files from the memory card directly the images have the correct aspect ratio. I got this idea from a thread (I can't find it right now) where they mentioned that the AVCHD files are more than the single movie files. There are other meta files in the directory. My guess is that iMovie looks at some the other files to get the correct aspect ratio for importing.

I do believe that this importing does some kind of conversion, but it did seem to work.

I'm curious if others have tried to import the files from the SD card or camera directly?

Jan 6, 2010 10:06 AM in response to jbigler

I do believe that this importing does some kind of conversion, but it did seem to work.

Not really. Movie files can contain three different bits of "size" information --the physical dimensions of the matrix to which the video was encoded, the pixel ratio at which the encoded file should be displayed, and the current actual dimensions at which the movie is set to be displayed during playback. A common example of these different bits of information would be the common DV file compression format. In its simplest form, these files can be said to be encoded using a 720x480 physical data matrix (aspect ratio of 1.5:1) but may be flagged for playback with either an SD 4:3 (usually 640x480) or Widescreen 16:9 (either 853x480 or 640x360 depending on the application) aspect ratio. However, as any QT/QT Pro user knows, the actual playback dimensions can the changed by stretching/shrinking the player window or by entering different dimension/aspect property values. Basically, iMovie '08/'09 ignores the physical encode/dimension settings and uses the pixel aspect setting when it imports files directly from the camcorder. Other applications and/or workflows, however, ignore or even throw away/lose the the aspect ratio information and, as a result default their displays to either the SD 4:3 dimensions or, on more rare occasions, to the matrix encode dimensions depending on the specific application in use. Depending on what you plan to do with the content, you have three basic options at this point -- 1) you can restored the PAR by re-encoding the file to a compression format that automatically restores this setting, 2) re-compress the data manually correcting the display dimensions to values representing the correct aspect ratio, or, 3) in the case of QT Pro, simply change the current physical display dimensions without actually re-compressing the data. This last work flow is fine for some applications but not others. (E.g., they would not work as a quick alternative for restoring the correct aspect ratio for iMovie '08/'09 editing but would work for older versions of iMovie or for display in the QT 7 Player.)

User uploaded file

QuickTime X uses incorrect aspect ratio for camcorder H.264 video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.