Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I confirm my wireless network is closed

How can I tell for sure whether my network is closed, other than checking the settings for network on base station configuration page in Airport Admin Utility? I don't know anyone within range who could take a look at their available networks list to see whether mine is showing up (as I don't want).

I thought that after opting to create a closed network (personal,not enterprise), even I would not be able to see my network name when I click on the Airport status icon which displays a list of networks available to join. But it's listed there.

G5 PPC, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Safari 4.0.3, iTunes 9, Airport Express

Posted on Sep 19, 2009 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2009 2:09 PM

"closed" network is a misnomer since the network name is still broadcast between any connected client and the base station. Therefore the network name is discoverable in seconds.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that this affords any security.
6 replies

Oct 1, 2009 6:45 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks much for the comments. Yes, I am aware the network name is easily discoverable with right tools and that hiding it by closing network offers no security as such.

Nonethless, I wish to close the network and have network name not so readily visible for reasons of my own. Thus I would still like to know the answer to my question.

?? Maybe there IS no way to confirm other than having someone nearby physically look to see whether my network name appears when they check for joinable networks.

Oct 1, 2009 6:56 PM in response to mackedout

Maybe there IS no way to confirm other than having someone nearby physically look to see whether my network name appears when they check for joinable networks.

This may be a reasonable approach. Note; however, different network clients (Mac, PC, Linux) will treat this differently. Some may not display the Network Name. Others, especially if they have connected to this network before, may.

Oct 4, 2009 5:04 PM in response to Tesserax

Hmmm, interesting about the network clients. A friend recently told me one of his family member's network was closed, but as soon as he got within range he could see it on her laptop. She thought perhaps her Mac remembered from being previously connected. Perhaps I'll forget about this notion 🙂 Thanks for the response.

How do I confirm my wireless network is closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.