Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro awakens from sleep with lid closed in briefcase

On two occasions I've put my 17"macbook pro 2.4 GHz OS10.6.1 to sleep by going to the apple icon on the menu bar and selecting sleep, then close the lid and put the computer in my briefcase. However, it seems to awaken in my briefcase and start cooking to the extent that the fans are blasting and it's wicked hot! What is up with that?? I had a motherboard replacement a few months ago.

Scott

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 1:25 PM

9 replies

Sep 20, 2009 8:16 PM in response to ScottinMA

Does it go to sleep automatically when you close the lid? There is a magnet next to the display that should activate a sensor near the keyboard when closed. When the logic board was replaced the sensor may have been left disconnected. If the magnet and sensor are working, it should stay sleeping when closed, even with Bluetooth signals. To run when it thinks the lid is closed, it needs external power and display connected.

Oct 14, 2009 12:52 PM in response to ScottinMA

Well I thought this was resolved but today upon arriving home I opened my briefcase to a scalding hot laptop with fans a blazing! I had performed the following terminal command hoping it was the solution:

"go into Terminal and type

sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

What is likely happening is the Macbook is getting jostled in the bag and tripping the sensor. This turns off that sensor. Now, opening the lid won't wake the macbook up; You'll have to tap a key to wake it up."

But alas, a solution it was not. However, I believe I closed the lid at my office rather than going to the apple icon and selecting sleep as I normally do before packing it up in my briefcase. Could that explain why it occurred or do I still have Gremlins in my MacBook Pro?

Scott

Macbook pro awakens from sleep with lid closed in briefcase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.