Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very Slow Page Loading at iTunes Store

Does anyone else experience very slow loading of pages at the iTunes store in iTunes 9? I have a G5 iMac running 10.5.8 and an Intel Macbook running 10.6.1. The problem occurs with both. I thought it might be an internet problem but have tried a cable modem connection on the G5 and different wireless networks on the MacBook and it happens every time.

The problem first occurs with the "Name, Time, Artist, Album, Popularity, Price" bar along the top of the small window under "Songs". It has taken up to 30" for this title bar to load. But I don't like this limited view as I like to browse just music without all the other videos, apps etc. So I then click on 'See All'.

This then takes another 45" - 2 minutes to properly load one full page on songs. Again the "Name, Time, Artist, Album, Popularity, Price" seems to be the problem. I can see all the titles of the songs and artists, but because this title bar hasn't loaded properly (the column titles seem bunched to the left hand side), I cannot scroll, review or buy etc. until it has. Am faced with a beach ball each time I click next or back. It has significantly limited the time I know spend browsing around the iTunes store.

Is this just a connection problem (even though I've tried different networks) or something that others have experienced and needs some sort of patch to fix?

thanks in advance either for advice or comments to know I'm not alone with this!

G5 iMac, Intel MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 7:27 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2009 9:19 AM in response to Neil Myners

Neil, I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest Tiger version with all updates on a late 2005 Mac mini (G4 1.42Ghz) w/ 1GB RAM. My boot drive is an external 7200 RPM EIDE drive in a Firewire enclosure.

Since moving from iTunes 8 to iTunes 9 the whole iTunes Store experience has been really, really slow. I don't know why, and it's extremely frustrating. iTunes 8 never loaded this slow, and as far as I can tell the iTunes Store has always been a custom web environment.

I'm also having issues with Safari's performance quickly degrading to the point of becoming unusable. I don't if it's a WebKit related issue that both apps share, or something else.

If anyone, from Apple or otherwise, could shed some light onto this I'd be very, very grateful.

Oct 12, 2009 8:23 PM in response to Neil Myners

I'm having the same problem.

I also can't preview songs anywhere but on the home page because it says it is buffering. It will play the song for 1 or 2 seconds, and then go back to buffering.

But most frustrating is that it takes up to 6 hours to download an album!!

I'm running it on my brand new macbook which is running the most recent version of leopard, and nothing else runs that slow...I don't know whats going on!

Very Slow Page Loading at iTunes Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.