Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The home folder for user is not located in the usual place...

Hi all,

I have a strange problem that pops up randomly on two different sites. Both are running 10.5 server with Network Home directories. All clients are 10.5.x

Occasionally when a user attempts to login they get the following error:

The home folder for user <xxx> is not located in the usual place or cannot be accessed.
The home or Users folder may have been moved or deleted. If the home folder is located on the network, the server may be unavailable temporarily. If you continue to have problems, see your system administrator.

I have checked the server logs and authentication happens ok. There is no indication of downtime on the AFP server where the homes are stored. If the user logs out and back in again they can access their files and can often happen to one user one day and a different user the next.

Very weird, very random.
Any ideas on how to track down a problem like this???

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 7:07 AM

When I have had this, it is due to either the server not having a DNS entry with reverse lookup when the server was set up. OR The client can't resolve the DNS address of the server where the home directory is stored. Try looking up the server in Network utility from a client.

Also, can you post the 3 fields from a User's account's Home tab in Workgroup Manager. e.g.

User uploaded file
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2009 7:07 AM in response to Gerard Allen

When I have had this, it is due to either the server not having a DNS entry with reverse lookup when the server was set up. OR The client can't resolve the DNS address of the server where the home directory is stored. Try looking up the server in Network utility from a client.

Also, can you post the 3 fields from a User's account's Home tab in Workgroup Manager. e.g.

User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2009 1:30 PM in response to Richard Cartledge

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response (sorry for the late reply!)
I've done a lookup on the server and it is replying with the correct IP address (and vice versa).
Here are the Home tab settings:

Home URL: afp://<server.domain.ie>/<sharepoint>/<username>
Full Path: /Network/Servers/<server.domain.ie>/Volumes/<disk>/<sharepoint>/<username>
Where: afp://<server.domain.ie>/<sharepoint>

Hope this makes sense. I can't post the actual domain as the college's security policy forbids it!

Oct 30, 2009 3:03 PM in response to Gerard Allen

We had this issue pop up suddenly with one of our 10.4 home directory servers that was serving a mix of 10.5 and 10.4 clients (you'll notice different error messages on each client). The server was on the same subnet as the clients and DNS was working fine. We finally traced it down to the fact that that particular segment of the subnet was actually bridged. The subnet spanned different physical locations. So in effect even though the server and clients were on the same subnet they were each sitting on different sides of the bridge. This was causing timeouts between the clients and the home directory server (authentication was being done on a separate OD Master and was working fine) As soon as we moved the server to the same physical location (building and switches) as the clients things returned to normal. So check your network setup and see if it its a factor. Also check the time it takes to reach the home directory server from the clients. Might be something else causing the long delay.

As a side note I have also seen this error occur if the time on the clients and server is out of sync or the clients can't get the correct DNS information of the home directory server. You might want to check that the DNS server that the clients are using is serving out the correct DNS info. I know you said forward and reverse DNS was working fine but did you try it on one of the affected clients?

Dec 26, 2009 6:49 AM in response to Tom Rice

Bingo! Was having problems with network accounts not appearing in the list of users in the login window on clients. The server was on Ethernet and the client on wireless via a switch/router. Put them both on Ethernet and now I can see the network users.

Of course this does mean there will be a problem for wireless computers that need to connect to the server.....

Dec 26, 2009 8:24 PM in response to David Morrison

Hmmmmm..... Further testing reveals that while it is better, it is by no means reliable using Ethernet.

I suspect that this is a timing issue. When the login window first appears, it only shows local users. A fraction of a second later, it refreshes itself twice. Sometimes this list contains the network users and sometimes it doesn't.

But it's even weirder! Sometimes the login window comes up with username/password text fields even though it is set to show a list of users on the server. These text fields are then sometimes partially overwritten by the list of users, leaving relics of the labels and text fields visible under the list of users.

Sometimes when this happens, none of the elements are accessible with the keyboard or mouse, ie, clicking on a user does nothing. Clicking on the relic of a text field does nothing. What does work is the Tab key will take the focus to the first listed user, but nothing more can be done. The only active options are the shutdown, sleep and restart buttons.

This seems to happen more when no-one is logged in rather than when Fast User Switching is being used. Sometimes logging out shows the night sky screen and no login window 😟

The most reliable choice seems to be to set the login preferences in WGM to ask for username and password.

The home folder for user is not located in the usual place...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.