Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NOTHING Will Empty Trash

I cannot seem to empty my Trash. I've tried EVERYTHING I can find on these boards: Force Empty, various free utilities, etc.

The files in Trash are folders that start with "pl.lproj". I've tried unlocking them and everything.

Any clues?
Thanks.
-Aaron

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 11:05 AM

14 replies

Sep 25, 2009 9:04 AM in response to Kappy

I have read that and have done what it suggests to do.
One thing strange: I cannot even drag the contents out of the Trash (it copies them onto my desktop). I've gone in to change Ownership permissions, etc. I've force-emptied. I've downloaded utilities. I cannot seem to get anything to work.

The file (folder) names are: "pl.lproj" also containing folder "QFilterPDFXTrimBox.nib", which is empty.

Cuh-razy!
Any further clues?
-Aaron

Sep 25, 2009 12:40 PM in response to Aaron Welch

FIRST, MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DATA! See my FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

If all you have is one partition, and no other external drives are attached, and no digital camera media is inside any attached printer or media card reader, and the file is in there and won't trash after booting into safe mode, boot into single user mode.

To boot into single user mode, hold command and S key keys down simultaneously.

at the prompt type the following:

rm -r ~/.Trash/*

ls ~/.Trash/

if there are still files inside you may have other data corruption which needs to be dealt with. Let us know if this is the case.

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Oct 2, 2009 9:41 AM in response to a brody

And the results are...

Aarons-G4:~ aaron$ ls -aL
. .lesshst
.. .ssh
.4CB19GEB-99E9-3E01-84F6-38EGF2336FG3 Applications
.CFUserTextEncoding Desktop
.D55B2DD2-6719-3D71-BD7E-C6867F5B9G54 Documents
.DS_Store Downloads
.TemporaryItems FontExplorer X
.Trash Library
.adobe Movies
.bash_history Music
.cups Pictures
.filezilla Public
.jagex cache32 Sites
Aarons-G4:~ aaron$

Oct 2, 2009 10:07 AM in response to a brody

When you start your computer in single user mode the file system is read-only. In other words, you cannot make changes to the file system until you mount the file system read-write. So the proper procedure would be to start the operating system holding down the command key and the s key at boot time and then run a file system consistency check first ->

fsck -fy

If the file system is modified then run fsck -fy unitl it does not say that it has been modified. Then mount the file system read-write ->

mount -uw /

The user is root not a regular or an admin user. So, you need to point the rm command to the absolute path to the .Trash directory that needs to be emptied.

Oct 2, 2009 11:19 PM in response to a brody

However he got this into the trash, who knows. It's part of the PDFX setup under Print menu. The location and ownership are:
doug-penningtons-power-mac-g4:~ dougp$ ls -al /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuartzFilters .framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/QFilterPDFXTrimBox.nib
total 40
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Sep 23 2007 .
drwxr-xr-x 39 root wheel 1326 Sep 23 2007 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1125 Sep 23 2007 classes.nib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 607 Sep 23 2007 info.nib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 9452 Sep 23 2007 keyedobjects.nib
But Aaron says that file is empty. Otherwise I'd try an mv on it back to it's proper area(excuse the terminology). Does a complete one still exist at location above on Aaron's machine? Still need to see his Trash ls -al answer. The other file, there are lots of them.

Oct 5, 2009 7:07 AM in response to doug pennington

Are you saying he attempted to delete a file from within that English.lproj folder?
No wonder his system is running amuck. Never touch any file in the /System/ folder. Permissions can get really messed up, making the whole system not able to be booted. Quartz is important for drawing graphics on the computer screen. Best course of action here, backup what's important*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

Erase and install the operating system.

Import the data back using this migration tip:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=435350&tstart=0

And never touch the /System/ folder again. That's not for anyone's consumption except system level programmers.

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Message was edited by: a brody

NOTHING Will Empty Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.