Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the 3rd Gen. iPod compatible with OS 10.5 and/or OS 10.6?

I haven't synced up my 3rd Gen. iPod since I moved from my old iBook G4 to my somewhat new (Intel) Macbook Santa Rosa. I was having problems formating this iPod on my Macbook and went back to reinstall factory settings on iPod through the iBook in order to get it working again... I believe but I did a bunch of things awhile back to get the thing working again (I can't remember if I then got it to work on my Macbook after I reset it to factory settings on my iBook, and then it didn't work anymore after I reinstalled the HD on the Macbook; or if it just didn't work at all).

I know you have to use Firewire cable in order to charge and mess with settings on the iPod but I am wondering if they are compatible with the newer Macs even if they have firewire support? I also want to install iTunes 9 and Snow Leopard and I am wondering if the iPod will be completely incompatible with both of them?

I'd really like to know if I can keep this iPod going for awhile. It was a hand-me-down present from my brother and I have since installed a new battery that seems to last forever. Any help you guys can give, I'd really appreciate.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Appleguy514

Macbook 2.2 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 150GB HD, 4 GB RAM, Superdrive, AirPort Extreme

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 12:35 PM

7 replies

Oct 19, 2009 12:10 PM in response to Appleguy514

Appleguy514 wrote:
It is good to know that NO ONE CARES ON APPLE DISCUSSIONS about our problem.

That's not necessarily accurate. It may just be that no one has a real answer for you.

I have a 3rd gen iPod that's still kicking and I will test it with my MacBook (which is running Leopard) when I get home. I believe it works fine, but I'll double check. The MacBook is also using iTunes 8.2.

~Lyssa

Oct 19, 2009 4:59 PM in response to Appleguy514

"It is good to know that NO ONE CARES ON APPLE DISCUSSIONS about our problem."

You know that you are not addressing Apple here. It is no ones job to come here and answer questions. People do so in an effort to help fellow ipod users.

Do you think by complaining about the lack of caring from the people who answer questions voluntarily and in their spare time that you will get more help?

Good luck with your issue. If I cared before, I certainly do not now.

Oct 21, 2009 3:07 PM in response to Appleguy514

I have a 3rd Gen 40GB iPod that's still running strong. I just upgraded from an old 15" Powerbook to a new 13" MacBook Pro and the iPod works fine with the new laptop. The only thing I needed is a FireWire 800 to FW400 adaptor like the one below.

http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-800-9-6-Adapter-Rohs/dp/B000LGGAD4/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256162707&sr=8-3

Is the 3rd Gen. iPod compatible with OS 10.5 and/or OS 10.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.