Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferred Wifi Network Order

Is there any way to order known wifi networks, so that the iPhone will connect to a specific network when it is available, regardless of what other networks are visible?

I have a wireless router set up in my office. My office network is faster and more reliable than the campus network. However, the SSID of the campus network is broadcast in a much larger radius. This results in the following situation: In my office, I connect to my office network. As I leave the campus, my iPhone loses the signal for my office network and automatically connects to the campus network. When I return the next day, my iPhone automatically connects to the campus network, the last known network to which it was connected. However, as I approach my office, the iPhone will not automatically connect to my office network, since it is already connected to the campus network. Consequently, in order to get the better connection, I have to manually connect to my office network whenever I return.

I would like to configure my iPhone to automatically connect to my office network when available, despite the fact that it may already be connected to the campus network. Is this possible, or must I manually set the network every time I return to my office?

iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 3.0.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 7:05 AM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2009 4:16 AM in response to ansciath

Question, do you ever use the campus network?
If you don't, when you are connected select "forget this network" or select it from the list of previous networks.. You won't connect anymore. However, if you use the campus network then you're gonna have to live with the way it is now, or Set iPhone to ask if you want to join a new network: Choose Wi-Fi and turn “Ask to Join Networks” on or off. You will then have to manually join each network. By default, once you’ve joined a Wi-Fi network manually, iPhone automatically joins it whenever the network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, iPhone joins the one last used.

Oct 27, 2009 6:04 AM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:
Question, do you ever use the campus network?
...If more than one previously used network is in range, iPhone joins the one last used.

And that's the crux of the issue. It sounds like myself and the OP have a small range network that we want to be the preferred network, however when we leave the range of that network we still want to be able to use the larger range network.

Clearly the OS itself hasn't been programmed with the 'Network Preference' functionality built in, so I was wondering if anyone was aware of an app that could essentially hijack the WiFi functionality and provide this service?

Preferred Wifi Network Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.