Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shuffle Artist - as on iPhone ?

Hi all,

On my iPhone I can go to an artist, or even an album, and play all of their music - shuffled, with just one or two touches.

Can I not do this as yet with iTunes (v9) ?

The only way I can do this is to search for my artist - then select all - then Check all - then play. But I also have to make sure previous selections have not been already Checked ...

Tks !

Howard

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 8:51 AM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2009 4:18 PM in response to Chris CA

Sorry Chris - and thanks for your help .. but this does not work.

I went to the View menu and chose Show Browser. An extra column appeared called "Artist".
I chose an artist and all of that artists songs appeared on the right.

I clicked on shuffle, which turned blue.

I clicked on Play.

Nothing happened.

I chose another artists... repeated the process ... nothing happened.

I turned off and on Shuffle ... nothing happened.

Any other ideas ? 🙂

Howard

Sep 30, 2009 9:44 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris - at the risk of annoying you ...

That really brings me full circle to my first post more or less.

On the iPhone I don't need to elect all or check all... I can just click on artist and immediately shuffle all of their songs... simple.

It is surprising to me that iTunes, a desktop app with all of the power and screen space, doesn't allow the same short cut.

All the best

Saoir

Sep 30, 2009 3:26 PM in response to Howardsweb

On the iPhone I don't need to elect all or check all

You don't even have those options on the iPhone.
You don't need to slect all the songs but you do need a checkmark in front of the songs you do want to play because one of the functions of the checkmark is to NOT play a song.
It is surprising to me that iTunes, a desktop app with all of the power and screen space, doesn't allow the same short cut.

Select the artist, click Shuffle select a song then Play.
Simple.
I thought it would play if you had an artist/album selected but not a song.

It's "easier" on the iPhone because there are less buttons and far less options than in iTunes.

Shuffle Artist - as on iPhone ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.