Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse clicks in Safari sometimes unresponsive

Hello all. I am having an infuriating issue with Safari 4.0.3. When I click near (but just miss) a button in the Safari toolbar (like the "home" button), then when I move my mouse and actually hit the button, the click will not register. I can sit there and click away merrily and it will not work. The button will not change colors and the click will not register. What I need to do is move the mouse far away from what I'm trying to click (like I have to "reset" it), then move it back and click to get the mouseclick to register.

It also happens with bookmark bar links and tab close buttons.

It is infuriating to just miss a button, click, move the mouse to the right place, and not be able to click the button (or bookmarks bar item or tab close X). Has anyone else had this problem? (P.S.: Now that it's so noticeable, it happens WAY more often than I thought!)

I tend to doubt it is a mouse or driver issue since it only occurs in Safari, no other program.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Safari 4.0.3, Razer ProClick v1.6 mouse

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 1:39 PM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2009 4:26 PM in response to AlwaysWrite

Here is some more info that might help (and is 100% reproducible):

If I click on a folder in the Bookmarks Bar, the links in that folder come up. Now, if I don't select anything, but instead mouse over a different item on the Bookmarks Bar, I can not select that item. What should happen is that the first click makes the links from the original folder disappear, and the second click should actually click the new link. But no amount of clicks will work. I have to click somewhere else to change the focus, then come back and click on the link.

This also happens if I open a folder in the Bookmarks Bar, and then try to click on a button (like the Home button) or a tab.

Oct 24, 2009 1:40 AM in response to AlwaysWrite

Similar things happening with me - started when I upgraded to safari 4.0.3 and glims broke. Now links on the page randomly do not work. If you scroll the page up and down they will become clickable. Also the option click shortcut is intermittent - sometimes it works but mostly, it does not.

Also, just now, had difficulty pressing the post message button - is it HAL inside Safari or OSX 10.4.11?

Any ideas? Anyone?

Oct 27, 2009 1:25 PM in response to AlwaysWrite

BTW, I updated to Snow Leopard (10.6.1) and the problems still occur.

If I click on a menu (in the menubar or a bookmarks bar folder), then click on another toolbar element (button, address bar, tab, another bookmark, etc.), the first click will make the menu go away, but I cannot click on the new toolbar element unless I first mouseover somewhere else to change the focus. Is this happening to anyone else?

Mouse clicks in Safari sometimes unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.