Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Keeping Connection on Buffalo Router

Hello, I recently started a new job and my company uses a wireless "Buffalo" router for their internet. The only problem is that it seems heavily encrypted and I get an error every time it tries to connect... I have already done some troubleshooting options and went into the router to find "a password" to make the internet work (temporarily). The main problem with this is that the password is _64 characters long of random numbers and letters_, and I have been typing this in multiple times a day to get it to work... I type this password into "Network Diagnostics" because this seems to be the only way to get the internet to connect. The password actually doesn't work from just selecting the wireless network from the Airport drop-down menu and saving the password in Network settings doesn't seem to work either. It seems like when the computer goes to sleep or is turned off, it loses the password and the connection and I have to go through the whole process of entering in a 64 digit password over again (you can imagine how annoying this in itself is, but think about how many times this has failed from typos, yeah, soooo annoying).

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on how to hard-line the internet connection here? I probably just think I know what I'm doing but if you guys have some advice, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Appleguy

Message was edited by: Appleguy514

Macbook 2.2 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 150GB HD, 4 GB RAM, Superdrive, AirPort Extreme

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:29 AM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2009 9:06 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yeah, it is definitely checked. It has the wireless network name (a bunch of letters and numbers) is listed but it still has problems connecting when I am actually within range of the router. Why? I do not know. I have never had a problem like this. It also says this is a "WPA2 Enterprise" under the "Security" setting. And I think this Buffalo Router has some sort of "mixed-mode" where it switches between a WPA and WPA2 security settings. I'm not sure.

I hope we can solve this problem soon, it is pretty annoying. Thanks for the help.

Appleguy

Message was edited by: Appleguy514

Sep 24, 2009 6:51 PM in response to Appleguy514

Is your wireless network "a bunch of letters and numbers" or do you have an assigned name for your network? It is possible that you may be trying to connect to another wireless network in range?

Sorry, can't help on the Buffalo router other than suggest you take a look at the security settings. Apple routers offer a "WPA/WPA2" and "WPA2 Personal" settings choice, so perhaps your computer is looking for one of those compatible settings.

If you are having trouble with security settings, the first troubleshooting step is to try to establish a connection with no security as a test. Then test other settings one at a time to see where the problem might be.

Sep 25, 2009 12:23 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the advice. The problem is, I believe, that there is a "glitch" or an incompatibility in the Router type or the way it does things that is the real cause for me to not be able to connect automatically. I should clarify and say that I can connect to the internet through the router, but only when I input a ridiculously long password pretty much everytime... actually today, it almost worked automatically for the first time. Where it usually says "An error has occurred when trying to connect to '001D7312FCD0' please check your network settings;" the computer pulled up Keychain Access and requested that I confirm that I wanted to connect to the internet through that network's name and that Keychain could use the secret password. I wanted to save the settings in the Network settings of System Preferences because it was the first time the computer had worked on its own to connect to the internet, but then it subsequently lost connection....

Now, it is back to doing the same old thing: showing the wireless network is there and requires a password (lock-icon), but when I click on it, the computer gives me an "error" message. This is what leads me to believe that we have a somewhat rare router recognition problem because the wireless *_actually works_* but not automatically like it should and only when I input the super-long password in Network Diagnostics. -> I pulled this password from the Router while I was using another Windows computer in the office that uses the Buffalo Router to connect to the internet; I went into Router's security information while I was inside Router's configuration settings.

I'm not sure but maybe upgrading to Snow Leopard might solve this weird Airport connection problem? Anyway, I'll keep trying.

Appleguy

Oct 18, 2009 1:05 AM in response to Appleguy514

I think Buffalo Routers and the Macbook Airport Card are somehow incompatible. I can't input even the cipher key anymore to get the connection to work. It comes up with an error EVERY TIME I try to join. I have never experienced this problem before with any other Router or Wireless connection. Please tell Apple to look into this issue with Buffalo.

Trouble Keeping Connection on Buffalo Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.