Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refinishing the case of an Aluminum PowerBook

I've got a 1.33GHz PowerBook that works great...unfortunately it doesn't look that good any longer. Since there's no "Appearance Forum" on this web site that I know of, I thought I'd just ask the question here.

I don't have any dents, dings, or anything that I'd call "significant damage" on the unit, but after years of use the unit's picked up some scratches that I'd like to get rid of.

Is there a way to refinish the outer case of these units to get rid of the scratches? I was thinking of trying to match the color of the outer case with some type of metal paint and trying to fill them in, much in the same way you treat hairline scratches on cars.

Does anyone know if this will work? Has anyone successfully done this sort of thing? Are there any companies out there that do this?

Thanks in advance. I know it's an odd question, but I'd be interested in getting some input.

Several Apples, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 3:27 AM

4 replies

Sep 24, 2009 7:56 AM in response to OSX Fan

This is going to be much, much more trouble than it's worth, and it probably won't end well.

You won't be able to sand down any filler you may use on the scratches without spreading tens of thousands of tiny metal particles around, and I can't imagine how you'd avoid getting some of them inside the machine, where they might do untold harm. You'll never match the finish of sanded areas to the finish of adjacent unsanded areas or get a satisfactorily uniform finish by sanding everything, and no paint is going to match either the sanded or the unsanded areas. You'll end up having to paint everything, and to do that, you'll have to completely disassemble the Powerbook and use a professional spray gun. No paint will be nearly as durable as the original aluminum surface was. By the time you're done, you'll have 50 hours of labor invested, you'll have gone without the use of the computer for at least three times that long, its finish will be more delicate than ever, it may be full of loose aluminum dust, and it may not work at all any more.

You would be far better off doing either of these two things:

1. Let your Powerbook show the honorable scars of a useful life, just as you do. Or if you just can't bear to see them,

2. Buy one of the snap-on hard-shell cases that may still be on the market, to cover up those scars.

Sep 24, 2009 3:21 PM in response to eww

You would be far better off doing either of these two things:

1. Let your Powerbook show the honorable scars of a useful life, just as you do. Or if you just can't bear to see them,

2. Buy one of the snap-on hard-shell cases that may still be on the market, to cover up those scars.

Along the same thought ... could also buy a used, better condition, Apple case and move the innards to it. Not trivial work, but it's an option ....

Dec 18, 2009 8:20 PM in response to psilochrysomelia

Hi, p. I think it's unlikely that anyone is still making them for Powerbooks now that even the last Powerbooks are 3-1/2 years old, but there may be some gathering dust on a shelf somewhere. As to whether anyone makes or made them for 12" PBs, I don't know — I just assumed that because they were available at one time for some Powerbooks, they were probably available for all.

My strong personal recommendation is that anyone with an old Powerbook should just ignore any cosmetic blemishes it may have accumulated in a long and useful life. Nobody and nothing stays young and unmarked forever.

Refinishing the case of an Aluminum PowerBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.