Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upload speed slow, 24Db noise on line, download fine ,

I'm just hoping someone will be able to help out here, I've tried rebooting router and Macs , turning off all electrical items in the house, tried different splitters, changed the MTU rate, plugged directly into the BT test socket on the master socket, unplugged all telephones . 24Db noise on upload line ?!

My line is synced at 448kbps though I can never get more than 37kbps upload, ISP says that upload is not usually any problem, basically it must be an issue with my equipment.

I've switched with the same ISP to an office connection which has upload speeds of 800+kbps and am hoping that will make a difference

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm not confident the office connection will help with so much noise on the upload line 24Db ( download line noise is 6Db) Its making browsing unusable when I need to upload something .

esthi

Mac Mini 2Ghz/4Gb RAM (early 09) . Macbook 2Ghz/2Gb RAM (early 09).., Mac OS X (10.5.8), 4Gb RAM, I like my Mac Mini very much

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:23 PM

Line noise is either an external or internal problem. You need to have a service tech check out your installation both to identify the cause of the noise and repair it. Could easily be a bad modem or router, could be a junction box problem, could be too many splitters, could be bad line amplifier (if there is one,) could be your home wiring is bad.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2009 1:23 PM in response to estihi

Line noise is either an external or internal problem. You need to have a service tech check out your installation both to identify the cause of the noise and repair it. Could easily be a bad modem or router, could be a junction box problem, could be too many splitters, could be bad line amplifier (if there is one,) could be your home wiring is bad.

Sep 25, 2009 7:40 AM in response to Kappy

Thing is with service techs and the way it works in Uk is that if one asks BT to check the line they charge you 84£ sterling if they don't find a fault.

I've tried a couple routers now, no amplifying boxes of any-kind at my end at least, I've only the one splitter connected to the router and main telephone .
( did have telephones plugged in via splitters on the other connections within the house)
I did a noise line test and when I dialed it- 17070( i think it was) and I could in fact detect audible crackling/rustling noises on the line , my partner has also mentioned that when some one is calling in and we are on the phone , the line clicks and pops .

The main socket which we plug into is literally at the point the wire comes from the pole to our house, it gos through a small hole and straight into the BT master phone socket, so there isn't really any internal phone wiring to speak of

I'll ring BT in the mean time any other ideas ? oh and thanks for your input .

just trying to avoid the ripoff BT charges

esti

Message was edited by: estihi

Sep 25, 2009 1:04 PM in response to estihi

Is it 37 kilo bytes that you can up load or 37 kilobits? If its kilobytes that not too far of the sync speed of 448 kilobits. 448/8
Sorry if you already are aware of this.
If you plug into the master socket and it still is no good, try to get the ISP to sort it out. The clicks and pops on the line will certainly cause problems with the ADSL. I had trouble with my connection a couple of years ago, it was OK on 512kb fixed but on up to 8mb, it dropped the internet whenever we picked up the phone. Called the ISP and they agreed to call out BT and it was sorted out.
When its sorted, if your modem is next to the entry point, see if they will replace the faceplate with the combined adsl/telephone point, the performance is much better.

Sep 25, 2009 4:28 PM in response to rack0 tack0

yeah Kappy, they are a little bit 'anti service' over here.. broadband in the UK is a joke basically compared to you guys but things are promised to improve ...'promised' !.
The main thing is that I basically know what I'm talking about when an engineer comes calling, I like to be prepared to show the guy steps I've done to try and solve the issue... hopefully then they won't charge me ?!..

Hi rack0 tack0, thanks for droppin in ...It is kilobytes as you mentioned, I know its not too far off the sync of 448 but it's the upload speed which is why this is bugging me because I've been told by the ISP that their upload is rarely less than 448, which has led me to start looking to get the full 448 as I literally cannot browse the web if I'm uploading something, it is like dial up when I start an upload.. ...surely thats not right ?

I'm synced at 448kbps on the upload according to the router stats.

Took the connection into the test socket directly and noticed a slight increase in download sync up to 8065 from 7080kbps, and a fluctuation between 6Db and 7Db of noise on the download line, no change on the upload.

BT have said the line tests ok and mentioned the charge is now 125 £ sterling not 80£ as I thought, Nice BT lady asked me to try another phone to do the quiet line test (17070 - option 2) and then again with my original phone...

I noticed a slight reduction in crackles with no pops nor anything else on the spare phone I tried , so it looks as if my original phone was causing some of the line noises I heard on my original quiet line tests...

With either phone being plugged in, or even with no phone, the line noise is steady at 24Db on my upload line ...that's pretty high from what I've read in the last while, what do you guys think ?

I will certainly ask them to fit an ADSL plate, thanks for the heads up mate , appreciated!.

For now, as I'm still waiting on the " call back in 5 minutes " from BT some 6 or so hours ago.
I'm not holding my breath it getting sorted anytime soon ..I do hope its the line as I really I don't want to fork out 125 quid (I really haven't got) to BT

sorry about that and the long rambling post, I will remain calm 🙂

kind regards,

esti

Sep 26, 2009 3:31 AM in response to estihi

Have a look at this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm , I was under the impression that you will never be able to download or upload at the sync speed due to various overheads in the ADSL protocol. The above page suggests that for a maximum sync speed on 8192, data trasmission will be just under 7 mbs.

I am a bit confused about the noise figure, is that 24 db on noise or 24db SNR, if its SNR that I understand is quite good.

Don't want you to spend £125 for no improvement. Will the ISP not sort out BT for you?

Keep us up to date, we all get DSL problems and its nice to know some answers.

Sep 28, 2009 2:24 PM in response to rack0 tack0

Hello again, The 24db upload line noise I mentioned..in my router stats it just mentions line noise no mention SNR .. just 24db noise margin upload and 6db down. I'm aware that one doesn't always get the sync speed on adsl max though just going of what my isp mentioned.

I've had an interesting development, I changed my service to an business connection (syncs at 832 up) and the upload line noise dropped by half ! quite remarkable.
I chatted with tech at my isp and they said they can see my line has had intermittent dropouts and that when the regrade went through it must have forced a reconnection and made the router work correctly, I said does a router reboot not do this function they said not always, no...

..three years of terrible browsing speed when uploading and now increased costs to actually have found out it was something they could have fixed a long time ago.

grrr.
:]
at least it seems ok

what to re the isp though .hmmm

hey thanks agin for showing an interest, always appreciated by moi.
esti

Sep 30, 2009 6:57 AM in response to rack0 tack0

yeah at least it's resolved, most irritating though and these guys are pro-ported to be the UK's best.

no point moaning though but I have been in touch with tech via a chat box and managed to get the guy to test everything again and even he said again its quite a poor situation.

He gave me a number to call after I said under the circumstance a good will gesture wouldn't go amiss.

we shall see, though am not holding my breath big business rarely want to help the little guy .

best regards and thanks again have a shiny green star :]

esti.

ps I'll pop back with any news after I get chance to call them .

Upload speed slow, 24Db noise on line, download fine ,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.