Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi painfully slow when in Clamshell mode

I'm considering buying a Twelve South BookArc Desktop Stand to save space when at my desk (I use an external display, keyboard, and mouse at my desk anyway). Available from Apple Store, the BookArc holds a MacBook in clamshell mode (vertically on end).

However, in learning how clamshell mode works, I discovered my network speed drops significantly when in clamshell mode. For example, I just ran tests with the lid open and in clamshell mode using Speedtest.net. With the lid open, my download speed was *18.49 Mb/s*. In clamshell mode, my download speed was *0.49 Mb/s*.

I then tried running the tests multiple times with lid open and in clamshell mode and consistently saw similar results. I also tried holding the MacBook vertically in clamshell mode so the display is in the same position it would be when open--just to be sure it wasn't an issue with the angle of the internal antenna. Similar results. Strange thing is, +if I start a Speedtest.net test in clamshell mode then open the lid during the test, the speed quickly jumps up again+.

I could live with a small decrease in network speed, but this is ridiculous. Wondering if its a problem specific to my MacBook, or a known issue with clamshell mode. Can anyone else reproduce?

MacBook 13" Aluminum (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.1), 2.4GHz, 4GB, 250GB

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 5:53 PM

18 replies

Sep 24, 2009 6:01 PM in response to homli

Hi homli,

I operate my 13" MacBook Pro (same shell, same AirPort card, same card layout) and I notice no difference in download/upload speeds. I've been using my machine in this configuration for about 3 months and it's been consistent (clamshell and normal).

I will say, though, that the speedtest.net results are very inflated. What if you take a file (say 100MB) and upload it somewhere and then try to download it. Try it in clamshell mode and then in normal mode and report your findings.

It's definitely not a known issue in clamshell mode, nor specific to the unibody design.

Oct 10, 2009 11:25 AM in response to homli

I have the same problem of painfully slow wireless when my computer is docked and the lid is closed. According to Speedtest.net: docked with lid open (screen off): 15.5Mb/s vs docked with lid closed: 0.27MB/s.

I've also tried changing the orientation with the lid closed (I get only a slight improvement with the laptop perpendicular to the desk, .9MB/s), and opening the lid during the speed test (I also get a dramatic increase in speed).

Interesting my upload speed is still decent with the lid closed (3Mb/s closed 8Mb open).

Anyone called Apple about this problem?

-Aaron

Nov 27, 2009 8:55 AM in response to rapide-tiger

I have also confirmed the same problem with my 2.16 GHz MacBook (MacOS 10.6.2). When in clamshell mode upload and download speeds are only 10-20% of what they are with the lid open (still attached to the external monitor but with mirroring turned on), with all other conditions held the same to the extent possible. Four separate tests over two days. In case it matters, the external monitor I am using is a 36" Samsung LCD TV (in the living room). It's possible the large monitor size has something to do with it but I can't test for that.

Dec 1, 2009 10:41 PM in response to carl wolf

Hi there, well i have the same problem here.
I have a Macbook Pro 13 and a Cinema LED Display (made for macbook pro).
It always worked with the clamshell mode, since yesterday i switched from airport express to netgear wlan router. Isn't strange? Why is that so? Maybe the Wlan Channel? Any ideas, solutions???

Dec 2, 2009 4:48 AM in response to homli

+*I recognize that both of you are new here but it is really helpful if you start your own topics rather than piggy backing off of someone else's post with your own questions. Thanks.*+

Actually, they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Starting a new thread for exactly the same topic is generally considered poor forum etiquette. As they were experiencing the same problem, this is the appropriate place for them to post it.

Dec 2, 2009 12:19 PM in response to JasonFear

I just recently purchased a dozen unibody MacBooks and another nine 13" MacBook Pros for use in a media lab. Of these 21 machines, none of them (all running 10.6.2) have sluggish performance in clamshell mode over WiFi (versus when they're not). In addition, I've been polling other people across campus with various machines (running 10.5.8 & 10.6.2) and I've yet to come across any machine suffering from the issue.

While not to discredit what anyone is saying, I've yet to find any empirical evidence to support consistency to software or hardware.

I'd recommend that you reach out to AppleCare (all those with the issue) and get the information documented. While they might not have an immediate solution, fix or work around for you (obviously other than not using closed lid mode). Getting issues like this documented to AppleCare are important in getting fixes in place.

Dec 14, 2009 4:59 AM in response to homli

Sam problem here. Clamshell mode, internet dies. When open works like a charm. I connect to a Acer 22 inch monitor as external display via DVI and found no problems with wi-fi and the connection to the external monitor. But the problem with Wifi and Clamshell mode persists.

Does Apple actively look into these discussions??

Dec 14, 2009 2:59 PM in response to KingDude

Hi KingDude,

If you want to get your issue addressed it's much better served by contacting Applecare directly. These discussion forums are user-to-user and no a direct means of communicating with Apple. While there are employees of Apple that police the boards and some that post, the ones that post do so on their own time. As stated in the Terms of Use you agreed to:

Who are the Apple Discussions personnel?

Administrators—Administrators are Apple Employees who focus on maintaining, updating, and enhancing the discussion forums. Administrators will also attempt to maintain proper decorum in the discussion forums. Due to post volume and other factors, Administrators may not respond promptly, or at all, to these discussions.

Apple Hosts—Hosts are Apple Employees who focus on gathering technical feedback that will be forwarded to the appropriate Apple group. They also help identify possible content for Apple's Knowledge Base and, when possible, they correct erroneous information in the forums. Hosts will also attempt to maintain proper decorum in the discussion forums. Due to post volume and other factors, Hosts may not respond promptly, or at all, to these discussions.

Apple Employee—Employees of Apple who are not Discussion Hosts may have an Apple Employee text link that appears when they post. These Apple employees volunteer their time to assist with products for which they are familiar. Since they are answering questions outside of their normal responsibilities, they may not always be available to respond to questions.

Important: Employees of Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") may respond to issues within this forum. Apple is under no duty to provide a response to an issue, or to do so in a timely manner. If Apple responds to an issue, it is Apple's intent that the information provided is accurate and reliable. However, given the expectation of the forum to provide real-time responses, not all information will be readily verifiable. ACCORDINGLY, APPLE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AS TO ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY IT UNDER THIS FORUM, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON INFRINGEMENT. Users of this forum may want to refer to information provided by Apple through its Knowledge Base database at www.apple.com/support for more detailed information on a particular issue. Apple may provide information that is relevant to an international issue, which may contain references or cross references to Apple products, programs, and services that are not announced in your country. Such reference does not imply that Apple intends to announce such products, programs, or services in your country.

Jan 2, 2010 11:49 PM in response to homli

I'm also experiencing this during clamshell mode on this model Macbook. I notice every once in awhile, it will drop from 4 bars to 3 and the internet will start to feel like dial up. It's strange, sometimes I'll go for a few days or a couple weeks without the symptoms and then they'll come back out of nowhere. As I started this post, my wifi was a 3 bars and at dialup speed but now it's back up to 4 and the internet feels normal again. I don't know what's going on here.

Wi-Fi painfully slow when in Clamshell mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.