Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Time Machine in Snow Leopard encrypt backups?

A business rep at the local Apple Store told me that Time Machine in Snow Leopard has the ability to encrypt backups; but I cannot find any documentation on this feature. Can anyone (particularly an Apple resource) verify this? Where might I find documentation and instructions on the process?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 6:36 PM

1 reply

Sep 24, 2009 6:54 PM in response to DrCharlie

Time Machine itself can not encrypt anything. you can enable Filevault on your home directory which will move your home directory to an encrypted sparse bundle. Time machine can back it up along with the rest of the data so the backup of your home directory as well as the original will be encrypted. however, TM does not play very well with filevault. you will not be able to restore individual items from your filevaulted home directory using TM interface. also, TM will only back up your filevaulted home directory once you log out.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Can Time Machine in Snow Leopard encrypt backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.