Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

front row- two display

4672 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2009 11:06 AM by CL123456 RSS
bcoll Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 25, 2009 2:30 PM
For last year, I play video on my 55¨plasma with a Mac mini. It works pretty well and during the movie I shut down the second display. I recently bought an use iMac-intel. I plug the plasma on the mini-dvi to vga---vga input on Plama TV. The image is perfect. My question is : is it absolutely necessary to use mirrored display in Front Row?. I am not able to close the display from iMac.

Any suggestion?
mac pro 2009+Mac Book pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • Douglas McLaughlin Level 9 Level 9 (63,735 points)
    Sep 26, 2009 1:53 PM (in response to bcoll)
    You can have two displays with different settings. However, Front Row will only play in the "main" display, the one with the menubar and Dock. You can change the main display in the Displays System Preferences by dragging the little menubar from one display into the other on the Arrangement tab. The iMacs screen will stay on but be black when Front Row is playing on the TV.

-Doug
    2GHz Intel iMac 2GB RAM, 500GB HD SD / 2.4GHz Al.MacBook 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 1TB Time Capsue / EyeTV Hybrid / 32GB iPod touch 8GB iPod nano (3G)
  • Purn0 Calculating status...
    Oct 10, 2009 2:46 AM (in response to bcoll)
    Is it also possible to have FrontRow displayed on 2 displays which ARE NOT mirrored?. I've got 2 displays (different resolutions) of which the bigger one is only for watching movies. The smaller one (Samsung U70: 800x480) is used to navigate trough FrontRow for music.
    If I mirror the displays, the reoslution of my bigger screen is also set to 800x480
    The main reason is, I control the mac mini by VNC on my PC, but a desktop resolution of 800x480 is way too small for most programs
    Thanks
    Mac mini 1,83ghz, Mac OS X (10.5), PC Win7 x64 - Iphone 3GS
    Oct 11, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to Purn0)
    Sorry, but that's not possible.

-Doug
    2GHz Intel iMac 2GB RAM, 500GB HD SD / 2.4GHz Al.MacBook 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 1TB Time Capsue / EyeTV Hybrid / 32GB iPod touch 8GB iPod nano (3G)
  • ben arthur Calculating status...
    Oct 29, 2009 5:17 PM (in response to Douglas McLaughlin)
    this is idiotic! front row can NOT display on the display without the dock!? there must be oodles of people out there with TVs as the 2nd display. come on apple. put it in the prefs somewhere, as to which display to have front row output to!
    imac core2 duo, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
    Nov 3, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to ben arthur)
    I would suggest you send Apple some Mac OS X feedback since there's no form specifically for Front Row:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

-Doug
  • CL123456 Calculating status...
    Nov 10, 2009 11:06 AM (in response to Douglas McLaughlin)
    This may be a related issue, so I am posting here.

I am using a VNC client on a Mac Pro (10.4.11) to connect to a Mac Mini (10.6.1), which I am setting up as a media server. Using a VNC application on the Mac Pro, I can tunnel in and see the Mac Mini's finder, applications, etc. But when I load Front Row, everything fades to black. Any solution? (If I connect the Mac Mini directly to a monitor, Front Row works fine.) Thanks.
    Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.