Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrate from macbook 10.6 to macbook pro 10.5 with time machine

A disaster fried my macbook. It was running 10.6 and time machined to a timecapsule. I have bought a macbook pro running 10.5 (excitement!). I want to get the data from the timecapsule to the macbook pro without a hitch. I have a family pack of 10.6. I will eventually install 10.6 on the macbook pro.

I understand that on setup you have the option of importing (using migration assistant?) from a time machine backup. But does this work if the macbook pro is 10.5 and the data is of a 10.6 backup?

If there will be problems, what are the solutions? Should I initially upgrade the macbook pro to 10.6? If so, does the family pack 10.6 disk do a complete clean install? That is, would this affect installing the ilife suite and other stuff from the macbook pro install disks?

Alternatively, should I take the harddisk out of the fried macbook and put it in the macbook pro, then clone that system, e.g. carbon copy cloner, and proceed that way?

As you might guess, I am dazed and confused.

Your humble servant, &c,

kizkij

macbook 2.4 late 2008, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 5:57 AM

2 replies

Sep 27, 2009 9:40 AM in response to kizkij

If both systems are the exact same system, simply taking your hard drive out of the broken machine and installing it in the new machine should give you no problems. At the very least, take the hard drive out of the old system and put in an external enclosure, then mount the drive to the new computer, and you can drag/drop your files.

Snow Leopard will let you do a clean install (I booted from the SL disc, then used Disk Utility to wipe the drive, then proceed with installation). You can use your Apple software installer disc (for that system) after you upgrade to Snow Leopard with no problems.

Bryan

migrate from macbook 10.6 to macbook pro 10.5 with time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.