Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Terminal slow and hangs in Snow Leopard

3642 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2009 10:52 AM by michaelgc RSS
michaelgc Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 27, 2009 6:52 AM
When starting Terminal in SL it can take up to 20 seconds for the cli prompt to appear. Terminal also frequently hangs while executing remote commands via ssh.
Mac mini G4, MBP 2.5 iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,075 points)
    Sep 27, 2009 7:03 AM (in response to michaelgc)
    HI,

Delete this file.

com.apple.terminal.plist

~/Library/Preferences. Move that file to the Trash and restart your Mac.

Also, check for available disk space.

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure you always have a minimum of 10% to 15% free disk space at all times.

Carolyn
    Intel iMac 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6), iPhone 3GS PBookG4 iBookG4 Intuos Tablet Epson Olympus Airport iPods JBL
  • m4rkw Calculating status...
    Nov 14, 2009 10:44 AM (in response to michaelgc)
    I fixed this by deleting the (32M or so) logfiles in /private/var/log/asl/

I would recommend backing the logs up first just in case you need to refer to them.

After deleting the files in this directory I found the terminal prompt showed up instantly.
    BlackOps Hackintosh, Core2 Quad 3.2GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4gb ram, Zalman 1000W PSU, 4TB storage

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.