Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Matshita DVD-r UJ-846

I have a IMAC intel 2006 with a Matshita DVD-R UJ-846.
I can read music CD, Movie DVD and blank CD-R/RW also mounts blank DVD -/+ RW.
The problem I have just came to light. The optical drive it will not mount DVD data disks. I tried to install Snow Leopard.
It just ejects the disk. I tried my copy of OSX 10.6 it also would not mount.
I tried to use the OSX 10.4.11 that came with my IMAC, they would not mount.
I know they worked a year ago. Could the last security update have caused the problem?
Apple has been of no help.
I have ordered an external firewire optical drive to see if I can load Snow Leopard.
I know that there is a firmware update for use on this Matshita DVD with OS 10.6

SO IS THIS HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE?

IMAC Mac OS X (10.4.11)

IMAC intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11), EMAC OSX 10.3

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 1:48 PM

63 replies

Sep 27, 2009 9:44 PM in response to poobaa

Poobaa you are not alone! SAME EXACT thing here. Called the techs, reset Pram, smc, bought a lens cleaner, blah blah. There HAS TO BE a problem with Snow Lep/firmware/update. Just doesn't make sense. Apple told me they had not heard of this at all, but it's in these forums and on the other Mac forums all over the place. They claim they will take a special look at this problem, but it looks like failed Superdrives are pretty common. Mine worked flawlessly until just after Apple care ended at the end of May. Very frustrating as I wasn't a heavy user of DVDs, but noticed it with Snow Lep upgrade. I hope someone figures it out and issues an update fix. Should have been a recall of these drives if there are so many failed ones.

Sep 27, 2009 11:34 PM in response to poobaa

Just to confirm that we have the same Firmware Revision and Disk Burning stats, go to: System Profiler > Hardware > Disk Burning.

Mine are as follows:

*MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:*

Firmware Revision: FB2U
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Sep 28, 2009 4:39 PM in response to poobaa

{quote:}APPLE IS THIS SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE PROBLEM{quote}

Sorry this is a user to user forum, if you want or need Apple's help you will have to call Apple Support or your local Authorized Apple Service Provider/Apple Store.

For Apple Support see > http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

For a local service provider > http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/

Sep 28, 2009 4:51 PM in response to den.thed

I know this is a user form. Apple was of NO help. The Apple store genus bar will be happy to install a new drive as many times as it takes to make it work. It would be guaranteed for one year and would be replaced as many times as it failed for that year. All this for about $400.

I will post if external firewire drive works, when I get it. That costs $75

Sep 30, 2009 5:54 AM in response to poobaa

My iMac has been unable to read or make DVDs. I use a second Mac to put the Snow Leopard Installer on an 8 GB USB flash drive, booted into that and installed Snow Leopard from the flash drive.

I used these instructions:
http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow-leopard-from-usb-flash-drive.html

I am seeking a replacement Super Drive since I may have to replace the hard disk drive and I'll do both repairs at the same time. (Although the 24" Aluminum iMacs are calling to me.)

Sep 30, 2009 11:43 AM in response to Philip Hoyos

same problem here... after sl update i start having some problems, imac crushing at least once a day and only when i use safari (reinstall didn't help) now i can't burn/mount or read data dvds, thats including leopard and SL disks.tried to burn dvd today and it wont take them, i used same batch right before SL and everything went just fine. It reads all the games,movies, music, cds, dvds. I'm not sure what should i do, should i take it to apple?? should i do it myself(out of warranty). any help is welcome, thanks guys

info on burner
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Sep 30, 2009 4:24 PM in response to poobaa

I have the external firewire drive. It reads Snow Leopard but can NOT install it from a firewire drive.
Snow Leopard requires it to shut down the computer to install Snow Leopard. Firewire data rate not fast enough to load installer program. Internal Matshita drive is ATA data rate. You must install 10.6 on another computer, then use a USB flash drive or hard drive that is a start up drive and copy Snow Leopard to it. Then you can set IMAC to start up from USB drive to install 10.6.
I found that an external firewire drive may be great to bun disks but can not play movies or audio CD's because of low data rate. Apple should not require a shut down to install 10.6 or future OS.
It is not clear that replacing the internal drive will last a long time.
Good luck to all

Oct 1, 2009 10:13 PM in response to poobaa

Thought I would show my info too to support you other guys with the same probs as me:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

This thing is darn strange to say the least. Hopefully someone will figure it out. Once again I am certain this is fixable. TOO MANY people at the same time with Optical drive acting sickly.

I too bought an external drive so that I can continue using my Imac. It works well enough. I've checked all my friends's Macs and they all have Pioneer drives just after my early 2006 Imac. I have a feeling this problem was known very early and sort of swept under the table. MatSHITa was a lemon.
It would be cool if Apple would offer a special low rate repair/replacement since there are beginning to be more and more of us. I complained to Applecare tech and he recommended going to a cheaper 3rd party repair shop. He looked it up and there wasn't one within hours of my house if you can believe it. I live in NC and there are only a handful of Apple stores in the State.

Oct 8, 2009 7:37 AM in response to poobaa

I have the same exact problem except I haven't updated to snow leopard. Sorry to complicate the question but What the ****. I think it was on my last 10.5.5 update is when it started.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Matshita DVD-r UJ-846

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.