Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't boot on mondays –- only in "safe mode"

Last monday and today again I am coping with the same problem; my iMac won't boot by itself. After turning it on, it will go to the grey screen, give me the wheel and then I'll only see the "no go"-sign.

Last monday I deinstalled LittleSnitch and from then on I could boot again normally. But today, without LittleSnitch, I can only boot by entering "safe mode" (pressing "shift"-key during boot time).

I have done all the usual things: clearing NVRAM, checking access rights -- no change. The harddisk is fine; no errors. When I boot from an external drive with X.5 everything's fine and I can access all files on the internal disk.

When booting "verbose" I can see messages that hint at com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver and kext.com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not being loaded or found.

What are these files there for and how can I replace them with working copies without reinstalling the entire SL system?

Usually, I turn off my Mac only on fridays for the weekend. From monday to friday I just send it to sleep. I initiated a couple of reboots during last week that worked just fine. I don't remember having installed any updates or system-level tools that might cause interferences.

Any help appreciated ...

Jason

iMac C2D 2.4, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 2:52 AM

2 replies

Sep 28, 2009 4:51 AM in response to Jason Harder

When booting "verbose" I can see messages that hint at com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver and kext.com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not being loaded or found. What are these files there for and how can I replace them with working copies without reinstalling the entire SL system?

The names pretty much explain their purpose. IO= input/output as an example.

You can try using the SL compatible version of Pacifist to locate and pull them off of your faithful SL DVD, but you might want to check the 10.6.1 update package first.

I would, however, recommend an entire reinstalling instead tho as there is no way to predict what will actually occur in your particular situation when otherwise mucking about. Good luck in any case.

iMac won't boot on mondays –- only in "safe mode"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.