Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broadcasts on UDP port 8612?

Hello -

I'm the sole Mac user in an office that has over 100 computers, so I'm asking this based on a question I got from our network guy. I am nowhere near a network expert.

The network guy asked me if I had installed anything recently that might be causing a lot of "noise" on our network. He says it is coming from my IP address and "They are pridominately "broadcasts" to the entire network on UDP port 8612, which Google tells me has something to do with Cannon printers."

Does anyone know what this might be and how I can turn it off? As the sole Mac user I try to keep a low profile!

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

iMac (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 7:46 AM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2009 9:43 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck wrote:
For starters, is there any Canon printers in the office, or Canon drivers installed on your computer?

I found some in the library/printers file and have deleted them. I don't connect to any Canon printers, but it's not clear to me why they would trigger the network traffic when the others didn't.

I'll ask our systems administrator if he sees the chatter with the Canon file deleted.

Broadcasts on UDP port 8612?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.