Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 64 messages in Time Machine logs ?

I've been getting these messages for some time now.
My Time Machine disk is on my airport extreme, and it shows up as a shared drive - Extreme Base.

However, when I start backing up, the connection fails, and I have no idea why. It only reconnects if I turn off the disk and turn it back on....

This is the log from Time Machien widget is attached...
I would relish any help with this...my backups are just not working. Period.

Starting standard backup
Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://David%20Griffiths@Extreme%20Base. afpovertcp.tcp.local/Time%20Machine%20Backups
NetAuthConnectToServerSync failed with error: 64 for url: afp://David%20Griffiths@Extreme%20Base. afpovertcp.tcp.local/Time%20Machine%20Backups
Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://David%20Griffiths@Extreme-Base.local/Time%20Machine%20Backups
NetAuthConnectToServerSync failed with error: 64 for url: afp://David%20Griffiths@Extreme-Base.local/Time%20Machine%20Backups
Backup failed with error: 19

Macbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 6:48 PM

6 replies

Sep 28, 2009 9:19 PM in response to Grifforama

Please don't double or triple post, at least not all at once.

If you don't get an answer in a reasonable amount of time in one place, then say you're going to post elsewhere so we don't fall over ourselves giving you the same advice in different places; or worse, someone may ask a question in one place but your answer doesn't get to all your various other posts, so other folks trying to help won't know what's going on and you may get conflicting advice.

This sounds more like a AEBS issue (the one forum you don't seem to have posted this in) than a TM issue, but a simple reset might fix it.

See item #B3 in the Time Machine - Troubleshooting *User Tip.*

Sep 30, 2009 1:22 PM in response to Grifforama

Hello,

I have the same problem with TM using a NAS. If I restart the backup shortly after the error the backup will work fine. So my question on it is: can I extend the timeout for mounting the NAS-TimeMachine-Drive?

Here is the output from the system.log

*first try*

Sep 30 22:01:55 com.apple.backupd[544]: Starting standard backup
Sep 30 22:01:55 com.apple.backupd[544]: Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://user@NAS.local/TimeMachine
Sep 30 22:01:57 com.apple.backupd[544]: NetAuthConnectToServerSync failed with error: 64 for url: afp://user@NAS.local/TimeMachine
Sep 30 22:02:02 com.apple.backupd[544]: Backup failed with error: 19

*second try*

Sep 30 22:02:13 com.apple.backupd[544]: Starting standard backup
Sep 30 22:02:13 com.apple.backupd[544]: Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://user@NAS.local/TimeMachine
Sep 30 22:02:15 com.apple.backupd[544]: Mounted network destination using URL: afp://user@NAS.local/TimeMachine
Sep 30 22:02:15 com.apple.backupd[544]: Warning: Destination /Volumes/TimeMachine does not support TM Lock Stealing
Sep 30 22:02:15 com.apple.backupd[544]: Warning: Destination /Volumes/TimeMachine does not support Server Reply Cache
Sep 30 22:02:19 com.apple.backupd[544]: Disk image /Volumes/TimeMachine/Username MacBook Pro.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine-Backups
Sep 30 22:02:19 com.apple.backupd[544]: Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine-Backups/Backups.backupdb
Sep 30 22:03:44 com.apple.backupd[544]: No pre-backup thinning needed: 1.01 GB requested (including padding), 93.10 GB available
Sep 30 22:07:30 com.apple.backupd[544]: Copied 30990 files (10.0 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Sep 30 22:07:31 com.apple.backupd[544]: No pre-backup thinning needed: 1.00 GB requested (including padding), 93.10 GB available
Sep 30 22:08:03 com.apple.backupd[544]: Copied 446 files (3.9 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Sep 30 22:08:08 com.apple.backupd[544]: Starting post-backup thinning
Sep 30 22:08:08 com.apple.backupd[544]: No post-back up thinning needed: no expired backups exist
Sep 30 22:08:09 com.apple.backupd[544]: Backup completed successfully.
Sep 30 22:08:15 com.apple.backupd[544]: Ejected Time Machine disk image.
Sep 30 22:08:16 com.apple.backupd[544]: Ejected Time Machine network volume.

Any ideas? I have also try the full reset of the TM-Config in the troubleshooting-guide.

Thanks for any helpful note....

Alex

Sep 30, 2009 1:35 PM in response to AleksCee

AleksCee wrote:
Hello,

I have the same problem with TM using a NAS. If I restart the backup shortly after the error the backup will work fine. So my question on it is: can I extend the timeout for mounting the NAS-TimeMachine-Drive?

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I do hope you know that TM backups to a NAS are *not supported* by Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1733

Some of the devices/hacks may work, for a time, but odd things happen, and there's nowhere to go for help.

I don't know of any trick in OSX to extend the timeout, but it's possilble there's a Terminal command for it. You might try the UNIX forum, in the +Mac OSX Technologies+ section, at: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=735

Or check with the maker of your device. If they claim it's TM-compatible, in spite of Apple's position, they should know how to make it work.

Edit: I just noticed these in your logs:
Sep 30 22:02:15 com.apple.backupd544: Warning: Destination /Volumes/TimeMachine does not support TM Lock Stealing
Sep 30 22:02:15 com.apple.backupd544: Warning: Destination /Volumes/TimeMachine does not support Server Reply Cache

That's another indication you're doing something not supported by Apple. There have been a couple of threads here of folks who were doing TM backups of a Leopard Mac to a Mac Mini running Tiger (not Leopard) via sharing, but it stopped working after the upgrade to Snow Leopard. Those are the same messages they got. I have no clue what they mean, but it appears TM has some new function or technique that your NAS does not support.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Sep 30, 2009 1:48 PM in response to Pondini

Hi, thanks for your welcome and sorry about me english.

I had in mind that this NAS is supportet because of this:

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/features/backup_desktop.php

I have no hacks to use a unsupportet device.

Did you know how the Time Capsule device work? I think that is also a afpd-service or work it with iscsi?

Thanks for your infos, I will send the 2 errors to the synology-support.

Alex
PS: how can I quote a reply-text?

Sep 30, 2009 1:58 PM in response to AleksCee

AleksCee wrote:

I had in mind that this NAS is supportet because of this:

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/features/backup_desktop.php

They may say it's supported, but Apple does not.

Did you know how the Time Capsule device work?

Time Capsules do work with Time Machine. Apple designed them specifically for that. They're fairly expensive, since they contain both a wireless router and a disk drive.

PS: how can I quote a reply-text?

Use the double-quotes just above this box when in compose mode. You'll note that each line has a greater-than symbol (>) in front of it; that's what makes the indented, shaded box.

Error 64 messages in Time Machine logs ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.