Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Internal H/D Question

I have been using a Western Digital 500GB external H/D with Time Machine...connected to my macbook. I now need to replace my original macbook H/D with a larger one. I am considering a Western Digital 250GB 2.5" SATA internal H/D. Should I be concerned with RPMs? I have noticed that WD makes these drives with different RPM speeds. I would also appreciate any other advice on this topic. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 11:46 AM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2009 11:53 AM in response to nick11570

In my personal experience the 7200 RPM drives were louder and caused vibration on the palmrest. This seems to be experienced by some people and not others. I tried a Hitachi and a Western Digital. The higher RPM speed does give you boost in performance, but for me it wasn't worth the vibration. I use my mac on my lap all the time, so I could clearly feel it. I now use a Western Digital 5400 (scorpio blue) and it is fast enough for what I do. I'll wait until the SSD drives become more affordable.

Sep 29, 2009 12:02 PM in response to nick11570

Most commonly, there's a choice between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm HDDs. At first, the faster access 7200 rpm drives had problems with vibration, excess heat, and battery draining but the current offerings don't seem to exhibit these problems.

Personally, I've owned two Western Digital 7200 rpm drives: a 120GB and a 320GB. Both were installed into a first gen (core duo) MacBook and they performed very well. The 320 has been moved into this Aluminum MacBook.

The faster access speed comes into play most frequently at startup and application launching. -GDF

Sep 29, 2009 2:12 PM in response to nick11570

nick11570 wrote:
Follow up question: Should I buy a H/D with SATA 3.0 Gb/s or 1.5 Gb/s? Seems like there is a "jumper" that may need to be manipulated using one or the other. What would work best with my macbook?

No jumper is needed with most drives these days. They should be able to auto select. I understand that some of the older drives were designed with jumpers to force 1.5 Gbit/sec mode, but I haven't heard of many recently.

New Internal H/D Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.