Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Brother MFC440CN PRINTER print in Black Ink only, not color?

I want to specify print in BLACK INK ONLY.
Because I've run out of color ink cartridges and also want to not use so much color ink in future.
This is a very very basic question.
I have had no problem just clicking this option in the past with lesser printers and lesser older Macs. Always before I've been able to click a little option clearly saying Black Ink Only, or Color. But no sucha option appears now.
Mine is a Brother MFC440-CN Printer-Scanner-Copier-etc.
I know I should be be asking Brother Printer this question but I find their Support Site frustrating and impenetrable. I've misplaced my registration. There is no longer a phone number I can find to call them. I being run thru the ringer just trying to find a way to email them. And their manual is not yielding the secret answer.
I doubt anyone can help me.
I apologize for asking this out of line problem on this site.
Forget I asked.
My thanks and commendation for whoever can direct me to the answer.

Macmini2, Dual Cores, 1 Processor; Bus Speed: 667 MHz ; 2GB Mem; L2 Cache:4 MB;

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 7:09 AM

I have a Brother MFC-6490cw running under Snow Leopard, but hopefully what I can tell you will help you with your Brother.

First off, most printer manufacturers won't let you print in any color or b/w once any cartridge runs out of ink. So if that is your situation, you'll probably have to replace the empty cartridge first. You can find good prices at amazon.com on both brother carts and cheaper after-market carts.

If you still have some ink in all your cartridges, then to print in Black, what you need to do is specify "Grayscale" instead of "Color" printing.

To do this, start to print something, which will bring up the print dialog box. Make sure you have the verbose, full dialog, rather than the two-line compact dialog. If you have the compact dialog, it will just have lines that say "Printer ..." and "Presets ...". At the end of the "Printer ..." line is a down-arrow. Click on the down-arrow and you will get the full printer dialog window.

OK, now you have the full print dialog window. In about the middle of the window look for the last pop-up menu line that has an up-down arrow set at the end of it. It might say "Preview" or something else.

Click on the the up-down arrow and you should get a pop-up menu which includes the choice "Print Settings". Select "Print Settings".

Now you have the Print Settings options available in the Print dialog window. Click on the "Advanced" tab.

Immediately below the Advanced tab should now be the choice to choose Color or Grayscale printing. Choose Grayscale.

You're done!

If you don't want to go through this on each print job, save it as a "Preset". Click on the up-down arrow at the end of the "Presets ..." line at the top of the window, and do "Save as". Give it a name like Brother-Grayscale.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2009 7:09 AM in response to thelnukus

I have a Brother MFC-6490cw running under Snow Leopard, but hopefully what I can tell you will help you with your Brother.

First off, most printer manufacturers won't let you print in any color or b/w once any cartridge runs out of ink. So if that is your situation, you'll probably have to replace the empty cartridge first. You can find good prices at amazon.com on both brother carts and cheaper after-market carts.

If you still have some ink in all your cartridges, then to print in Black, what you need to do is specify "Grayscale" instead of "Color" printing.

To do this, start to print something, which will bring up the print dialog box. Make sure you have the verbose, full dialog, rather than the two-line compact dialog. If you have the compact dialog, it will just have lines that say "Printer ..." and "Presets ...". At the end of the "Printer ..." line is a down-arrow. Click on the down-arrow and you will get the full printer dialog window.

OK, now you have the full print dialog window. In about the middle of the window look for the last pop-up menu line that has an up-down arrow set at the end of it. It might say "Preview" or something else.

Click on the the up-down arrow and you should get a pop-up menu which includes the choice "Print Settings". Select "Print Settings".

Now you have the Print Settings options available in the Print dialog window. Click on the "Advanced" tab.

Immediately below the Advanced tab should now be the choice to choose Color or Grayscale printing. Choose Grayscale.

You're done!

If you don't want to go through this on each print job, save it as a "Preset". Click on the up-down arrow at the end of the "Presets ..." line at the top of the window, and do "Save as". Give it a name like Brother-Grayscale.

Oct 1, 2009 8:32 AM in response to Boece

Thank you soooooomuch!
I've already awarded you the commendation of helpful, but you are more, much more than that.
You, sir or madam, have rightly earned the coveted title of "S O L V E R"! and will be henceforth known as Solver of this particular question for all time.
But, first, as Columbo would say:
Just one more thing. Something about this bothers me.
Is there a way I can make my Default setting be my saved setting of "Black print Only, Greyscale', or must I always find it preset to Standard and must each time pull down to select my preferred setting?
Even if you get this last question wrong, I will still award you the Solver.
Thannksagain.

How Brother MFC440CN PRINTER print in Black Ink only, not color?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.