Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"You don't have enough access privileges..."

Getting this message when I'm using the Macbook (2nd computer on this iTunes account).

I get this message: "There was a problem downloading <insert song name>. You don't have enough access privileges for this operation. Please check the connection to the network is active and try again".

I get this when I purchase a song on the Macbook AND when I go to transfer songs from the iMac.

I can play songs using homeshare but just can't seem to move songs over.

Any thoughts?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 1:16 AM

25 replies

Jul 29, 2017 5:17 AM in response to Harry K

For the benefit of Windows users who come across this thread, I was getting this error on my Windows machine. It suddenly started happening even though I'd successfully downloaded albums in iTunes just an hour ago. The only change had been I'd stopped iTunes and then started it again. I finally got round it by creating a folder in my MP3 Library with the same name as the artist I was trying to download (i.e. I manually created the folder iTunes said it couldn't do). The retry then worked, including creating a subfolder for the album itself.

Oct 18, 2009 11:08 AM in response to Harry K

Permissions!!!
Check the location of your music library in *iTunes Preferences>Advanced: iTunes Media Folder Location*.
Then go there in Finder and press *Command + i* on the keyboard to "Get Info".
All the way on the bottom of the Info page there are permissions and ownership pane.
Make sure that both your ID and staff has read/write permissions. If staff only has 'read' (which was a case for me) you can click the Lock icon, enter your password and then change the permissions for staff to read/write. Then click the little Tools drop down and select *Apply to enclosed items* to change the permissions recursively.
Also make sure the same is set for the iTunes Library XML file.
That fixed it for me.

Message was edited by: kompuntu

Oct 24, 2009 12:23 PM in response to kompuntu

Thank you!! This was driving me crazy. I hadn't made any changes on the system, but all of a sudden iTunes wasn't allowing me to download my purchased video content, giving a -5000 error. I took your advice, added Read & Write privileges to the Staff role, applied it to the enclosed items for both my Media Folder and the location where the XML lives, and boom! I'm downloading everything without issue. Thanks for this solution.

Oct 19, 2011 5:02 AM in response to kompuntu

One addendum: I received the same error mentioned above as a result of removing /Users/Shared. As a result, updating the permissions on my my iTunes folder didn't help. This cause is also bit less obvious as iTunes doesn't mention that it uses the directory at all. It did recreate it, but with the wrong permissions. Applying the same solution as you suggest on /Users/Shared resolved the problem in my case. Thanks!

Mar 10, 2012 7:28 AM in response to puckdoug

Thankyou! The 1st solution didn't work for me. Changing permissions on /Users/Shared did. 🙂

I had this problem as a result of moving my OS to a different drive. I have a MBP and installed a SSD drive in place of the DVD. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to move the OS to the new SSD leaving all my data on the big HD. So far, Only itunes has had this issue.

FYI, my 2009 MBP used to boot in 90 seconds, now its 18! iTunes, which is a bigger PIG than Photoshop used to take forever to load. Now, 4 seconds, but that's only because the iTunes directory is on my big HD. I'm using a Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive.... very nice! I have BootCamp on the Seagate, it now loads in about 30 seconds.

"You don't have enough access privileges..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.