Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain not responding

Suddenly I can no longer access the keychain. It does not respond.

Can I selectively restore the keychain from my backup?

If not how do I get it to work again?
I wanted to delete a couple of incorrect password/logins, which is how I found out.
I did try to unlock preferences and that makes no difference

Thanks

mac book pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 4G ram, dual proc233

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 9:24 AM

18 replies

Oct 1, 2009 1:15 PM in response to hanne333

Have we done any Disk fixing lately?

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Tiger Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Select your Mac OS X volume.
5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If you want to try to restore from backup, I find 3 places where Keychains are here...

/Library/Keychains
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Keychains
/System/Library/Keychains

Oct 2, 2009 9:54 PM in response to BDAqua

I will have to try that tomorrow :-p
In the meantime I could no longer get on the internet. Finally fixed that problem but one of the "temporary removal" of all internet plists, and several other plists seemed to have fixed the problem. Nothing else had worked. This, however has resulted in not being to read my mail on the mac, only online. Once imported they become duds.

I do not know which plist handles that. I guess I will need to put that one or those back 🙂

Forgot to mention that my backup would not work either. Said "error (2) file not there" I

Thanks
Will let you know how the rebooting to disk works out

Message was edited by: hanne333

Oct 3, 2009 8:44 AM in response to hanne333

the keychain is gone as far as opening. After replacing the backup keychain files, still no go. I have an older backup and will see if that works. If not what do I have to do to get it working again???

Everything else is working perfectly now. so even if the keychain is not working I am going to do another backup.

I was using a backup program, but am going to do it the apple way this time 😀

Tried the older backup, no go. Question!!
Should I delete the files on the HD first? one library/keychains at the time? Because replacing the files is not working.

What is ACE2Cache?

I have/had another folder: ByHost, which contain these files

com.apple.ImageCapture2.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.ImageCaptureExtension2.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.iTunes.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.MIDI.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.preference.displays.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.PrefPane.Network.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.print.Cache.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.screensaver.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.screensaver.Cosmos.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.systempreferences.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.systemuiserver.0017f2c6b097.plist
com.apple.windowserver.0017f2c6b097.plist
It is on my desktop now.

Thanks

The User Template folder in the Library does not allow me access. " not sufficient privileges"
What is up with that?

Oct 3, 2009 11:30 AM in response to BDAqua

I did do a re-install when i had the safari issues in July? I think. Have had no problems. So there has been no disk repairs. At least it has said none were needed.

I do have a suspicion: I installed MS messenger because I needed it for communication with a friend. I have since deleted it incl all plists and any MS references.
It was after that installation that things started to go wrong.

Another odd thing is that when I tried to add my daughter's wireless connection to my computer, it completely fouled my ethernet connection up. I also kept getting a message that another application had changed the information . This happened every time I tried to re-establish internet connection. (I deleted all plists that had anything to do with the internet before I could get it back)

It was not until I deleted both Yahoo and MS messengers, (So don't know which one could be the problem) That I was able to get the internet working again. Therefor my suspicion 🙂

Odd though about the keychain. How DID it disappear?

Even more odd is the fact that the keychain app also is non-existent on both my backups. Does that make ANY sense at all?

Oct 3, 2009 12:14 PM in response to hanne333

I also kept getting a message that another application had changed the information .

To stop that pop-up, Go to System Preferences: Security. Check the box next to "Require password to unlock each secure system preference." Then lock Security.

How DID it disappear?

Makes no sense here either!?

What program do I use to open pacifist with?

What is the full name of the Pacifist file with extension?

I also checked out the install disk 1 and can find no keychain info, no packages either. Maybe on disk 2?

Only Pacifist can find it on Disc#1.

What is "silverlight"? it is a package

That's a Microsoft APP/Viewer, I don't need it here.

Oct 3, 2009 12:50 PM in response to BDAqua

all right. I loaded pacifist

It is in Contents of additional essentials package

There is a Keychain access.app also in seems to be in the different language packages. Is it enough to add the english or do I have to add all?

Also keychain scripting.app

Do I have to set a master password to check "Require password to unlock each secure system preference" ?

Keychain not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.