Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall/Repair Compressor 3.5?

After updating to Snow Leopard, Compressor 3.5 can no longer open files, display windows (other than the settings/output screens) or compress anything. This is true both with projects exported from FCP and when I run the program as a stand-alone. I tossed the preferences and reset the background processes. Is there any way to reinstall/repair Compressor without having to reinstall the entire suite?

Thanks,
Ric

Mac Pro (8-core), Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 9:02 PM

3 replies

Oct 2, 2009 10:19 PM in response to Jon Chappell

Jon,
Thanks. These guys saved my butt a couple of times with FCS Remover, but in this case their utilities didn't help. I even tried the process outlined in Apple KB TS1888 (manual uninstall).

The "solution" for me was unbelievably weird. After doing my third remove and reinstall and it not working, I realized I missed the important troubleshooting step of testing the program in a fresh test user account. I logged into it and it ran just fine. I then logged back into my normal account, dreading the possibility that the problem would be buried in some mystical cache file that was mine and mine alone. I ran Compressor and it started right up (and I now have a backlog of renders plugging away).

I have no idea why this worked, but if someone else runs into this, it's worth a try.

Thanks,
Ric

Reinstall/Repair Compressor 3.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.