12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2009 6:58 PM by cjohnson96
MDJ51 Level 1 Level 1 (115 points)
I give up. Safari is slow at loading other sites if it loads at all. A different browser has NO PROBLEMS loading!!

933 MHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Golden Shoes Level 5 Level 5 (4,015 points)
    Greetings,

Safari is not slow at all; the problem is with your system. Instead of complaining, try this:

1. Go to Home/Library/Cookies and delete the Cookies.plist file.
    2. Go to Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and delete the contents of that folder.
    3. Go to Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Web Page Previews and delete the contents of that folder.
    4. If you don't want to use the Top Sites or Cover Flow features, open Terminal and paste in this command:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSnapshotsUpdatePolicy -int 2

then press Enter or Return and quit Terminal

5. Go to Home/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari and delete the contents of that folder.
    6. Go to Home/Library/Caches/Safari and delete the contents of that folder.
    7. Go to Home/Library/Safari and delete these files (if you have them):

Downloads.plist
    History.plist
    Form Values
    LastSession.plist
    WebpageIcons.db

Then Repair Permissions, restart Safari and see if the speed is improved.
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (98,495 points)
    HI,

Try Speed up Safari

Carolyn
  • Donnie Ashworth Level 3 Level 3 (875 points)
    "Safari is not slow at all; the problem is with your system."

Golden Shoes, how can you be so sure? A lot of us are having trouble with this latest incarnation of Safari in Snow Leopard. Mine is slow as molasses loading pages in. This problem did not appear at all before the upgrade.

It may indeed be a problem in his system, but how can you be that sure? My opinion is that there's most probably a bug in Safari based on my observations and many others who are having these kinds of problems. But I won't state that that's so without being sure. Let's see what the next update fixes.
  • Golden Shoes Level 5 Level 5 (4,015 points)
    how can you be so sure? A lot of us are having trouble with this latest incarnation of Safari in Snow Leopard.

Because "a lot" is a subjective term and not indicative of the experiences of the vast majority of users. If it were a bug as you seem to think, then it would affect everyone, and it clearly isn't affecting everyone; millions of users have no problem.

The only reason you think many others are having problems is because you see multiple threads dealing with this same topic. But due to the very nature of the forums, you will of course see threads with similar or identical complaints; that doesn't make a problem widespread or turn it into a bug.
  • MDJ51 Level 1 Level 1 (115 points)
    Brilliant and thank you for that. Safari had this problem before. Its when you use the search bar through google it happens and its slow THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG. why all of a sudden would it happen. I use another browser with no problems at all. I 'll just continue with that I do not need safari.
  • MDSPHOTO Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I recently downloaded the latest version of Safari and it has slowed my internet speeds considerably. In the right hand corner of the address bar a new icon pops up telling me that Safari is loading the site and it takes forever, with some site never coming up. The last version of Safari was quite good so not sure it is related to my system. I have posted this problem on other boards, where people seem to have the same problem and some have suggested switching to Firefox. Has anyone done this and seen an increase in download speeds?
  • domu888 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have tried everything suggested above as regards improving my system and read through the speed up safari wikis. I am still unable to load up even the apple page without a 30+ minute wait.

I am viewing this page through Opera, since safari couldn't load it in time. I watched a couple of movies while safari loaded Opera's homepage, so somewhere in the region of 2+ hours. Opera seems to work fine. I am left with few conclusions other than there is a problem with Safari or something malicious has infected it(?!).

Of course, the longer this problem remains unfixed, the more likely I am to stay with Opera. It is quick after all.
  • Michelasso Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)
    Is it me or Safari 4.03 for Windows 7 is much, MUCH faster than the one for OSX?? I did a test reopening a Safari window with 25 tabs in Win7 and it took only few sec (I have a slow Internet connection. 1.4Mbps). With 8 or so tabs in OSX (also in 10.5.8) it takes at least 10-12 seconds. Even accessing this forum is much faster from Windows 7(I'm in Win7 now).

Ok, Win7 Safari doesn't have any plugin installed, while in OSX I have Glims and 1Password beta. Could it be the plugins? Anyway, I'll follow the suggestions in this thread after I'll reboot OSX. I'll let you know.
  • Donnie Ashworth Level 3 Level 3 (875 points)
    Glad Opera is working for you, I tried it out and it's not doing it at all for me. As slow as Safari is, this thing is five times slower. I just get "blank page" with nothing showing up for a long time. Even the Google search page takes 30 or 40 seconds to load in. Did you notice anything like this on first use? Does it get better with age?
    Firefox works great no problems
    Did uncheck something under safari preferences under security. I unchecked Fraudulent websites. As when it was checked google had some warning saying it was not working?? All I know is, that i unchecked it and things seem better.
  • cjohnson96 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have not upgraded to Snow Leopard yet, I'm at Leopard version 10.5.8. Something has happened in the last update with Safari because it has slowed to a crawl. I have tried the resets, etc. to get this thing to speed up. Sometimes pages will load quicker than others, other times I feel like I'm on dial up, other times they just crap out. I finally in a critical situation for work downloaded Firefox and have NOT had any issues with it and speed since downloading it. So something is broken with 4.0.3 Safari. Hopefully there will be resolution to it soon. I will try your above solution and see if it will work or help out some in my situation as well. At any rate as the one user stated above.....I do not in any way believe it has anything to do with our systems.