Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choosing outoging mail server

I've been working with this for years now, but thought I'd ask if there's an easier way. When I send mail from home after being at work (and vice versa) I need to send the message and then wait till it is rejected by the server so I can choose the appropriate outgoing server. Is there any way to set a particular outgoing server? Seems like it must be simple, but I haven't found it, nor a thread about it.

MacBook Pro/ G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Kona

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 4:58 PM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2009 6:11 PM in response to Coruway

Hi Coruway,

Are you using the same account at home and at work? It might be just be as simple as modifying which port you're using for SMTP. Most SMTP servers will work anywhere a valid Internet connection is available, unless you require VPN access or a specific SSL setting that requires a specific IP range.

It might be worth asking your IT "people" how you can configure your SMTP (maybe as simple as using port 587) to where you can normally send in both locations. Otherwise you can configure multiple SMTP servers and just toggle which ones you want to use when composing a message.

Choosing outoging mail server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.