Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only show .htaccess not all hidden files

I would like to be able to view only .htaccess files and not all the other hidden files and folders in Finder. Is there anyway to accomplish this?

I used the "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" command in Terminal, but there are so many files I don't care to see (.DS_Store, etc).

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 7:58 AM

16 replies

Oct 4, 2009 8:41 AM in response to shrader

Welcome to Apple Discussions;

Try these commands:
Type
sudo chflags nohidden

Then drag the file or folder you want unhidden to your Terminal window. It will now show the path to the item.
Press Return.
You will be prompted for your password. Type it in (it will be invisible)
Press Return.

To hide again use
sudo chflags hidden

User uploaded file
-mj

Message was edited by: macjack

Oct 4, 2009 9:01 AM in response to shrader

shrader wrote:
Will this apply only to that particular file or all files named .htaccess?

It should apply only to the one specific file in the path.
shrader wrote:
I ask because each website may or may not have a .htaccess file (at this time there is a hundred or so sites) I don't host the sites from this machine. It is only used for locally editing them.

Not sure how it will behave other than locally...

User uploaded file
-mj

Oct 30, 2009 3:00 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

There is a major lack of knowledge being displayed here.
I often see this kind of answer in responses blindly supporting Apple OS configs and products - do all the people who do this work for the company or something?

The fact of the matter is this: as a developer working with various CMS and frameworks you find that certain .htaccess settings support the way you develop sites or your specific configurations for that site. When developing many sites, even locally, you often need to have a rewrite or make a tweak here or there that's best to do in the .htaccess files. In some cases there are .htaccess files in many different places going down the tree of a CMS/ecomm engine.

The question here is not whether or not other people think it's a good idea or right to do something, but a simple question of +how do you do this+. I am a professional web developer, and I would also like a way to not have to do this for every set of files I work on locally, while at the same time not having to sift through a bunch of hidden files I don't need to edit.

Nov 14, 2009 6:50 AM in response to jkristos

I completely agree, but I have also found similar rudeness on other forums asking the same question! What is it about this that inspires such hostility?

I am also encountering this problem, specifically trying to download & upload an htaccess file from one site to another. My ftp program can find 4 copies in the folder, finder shows none, and they will all be slightly different.

This is slowly driving me mad, as I have already tried editing the finder preferences, only to find they were completely different to what various advice said they should be. This doesn't make me feel confident about messing about with the terminal when other advice could be equally out-of-date.
I'm sure I had already set this once before, and somehow OS X has reverted to hiding them quite recently (perhaps during a cleanup with onyx?).

Anyway, I would have thought it was pretty obvious why someone would need to edit .htaccess files, and that just like anything else on a site they could need several tweaks in one session, just to get them right.

Nov 24, 2009 7:02 AM in response to shrader

I haven't found a solution to just view the .htaccess, but I found a program Houdini that will let you toggle between without having to do it through terminal and then restarting the finder.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26729

So far it is working out fine. I turn it on when I have to work or copy my sites that have .htaccess files. Turn it off when I am done.

Only show .htaccess not all hidden files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.