Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs show up as separate albums

I just got my ipod touch and added a number of albums from my computer to itunes. When I hit the music button on the touch and then the album button, each song shows up as its own album instead of showing the album containing various songs. What am I doing wrong? I have tried it several times with the same result. Thanks for any help you can give a newbie!

HP, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 9:23 PM

The album titles may not be identical. Try this:

First select Music under library on the top left of iTunes. Then go to "View > as Grid." Find an album that should be the same but is listed twice. Highlight the first album, then go to "File > Get info." Go to the "info" tab. Highlight the album name then select "Edit > Copy." Click ok.

Now highlight the second album. Select "File > Get info." Go to the info tab. Highlight the album name and select "Edit > Paste." Click ok.

If there is more than two listings for albums that should be the same, paste the album title into those as well.

This will merge songs from the albums under a single album. You can then sync these changes to your iPod.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2009 9:23 PM in response to lbabus

The album titles may not be identical. Try this:

First select Music under library on the top left of iTunes. Then go to "View > as Grid." Find an album that should be the same but is listed twice. Highlight the first album, then go to "File > Get info." Go to the "info" tab. Highlight the album name then select "Edit > Copy." Click ok.

Now highlight the second album. Select "File > Get info." Go to the info tab. Highlight the album name and select "Edit > Paste." Click ok.

If there is more than two listings for albums that should be the same, paste the album title into those as well.

This will merge songs from the albums under a single album. You can then sync these changes to your iPod.

Oct 5, 2009 1:08 AM in response to lbabus

I'm not exactly a 'newbie' but I can't crack this one. Similar problem. Grid display in iTunes & on my Touch is fine, but 'Cover Flow' in iTunes shows some albums with multi-covers. Nothing I have tried has solved it, so I just use grid for the display, which in many ways I prefer.
It would be nice to sort it though!
By the way Davy, can't follow your advice with the options/steps you describe. Don't know if Ibabus can!

Oct 5, 2009 2:23 AM in response to beachboy999

Davy's instructions are accurate, but I prefer to change all the tracks at once to be sure the info is identical. Also, artist names (or at least album artist names) also need to match for cover flow to work properly.

Try this:

From list or grid view, pick all the songs that should be part of one album (you can select multiple songs by holding the command key while you click on a mac, on a PC it's probably CTRL + Click or something).

Right click (ctrl+click on a mac) on any of the selected tracks and hit 'get info'.

From the window that pops up, click the 'info' tab.

Change the artist (or album artist for a compilation), and album name to whatever it should be for all the tracks (for album art, change the album art on this step, although beachboy your problem may also be artist of album name).

You can also do all those steps before importing a CD to save yourself some time later on.

Oct 5, 2009 5:04 AM in response to lbabus

Thanks, everyone, I tried these suggestions but without success. The album name is the same already on itunes it is just that when I hit the albums button on the music button on the itouch that I see each song as if it were a separate album. Is there a way to post a picture in this message? Then I could show you...at the risk of exposing my music taste to the world! I appreciate any input that would help.

Songs show up as separate albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.