Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ping cannot resolve, but dig and nslookup work.

Hello!
Strange network problem. dig and nslookup work, but can't ping host. Only reboot help and sometime dscacheutil -flushcache.
#dig kppfs.axdev.corp

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0-APPLE-P2 <<>> kppfs.axdev.corp
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56718
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;kppfs.axdev.corp. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
kppfs.axdev.corp. 1200 IN A 192.168.30.2

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.30.1#53(192.168.30.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Oct 7 10:00:55 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 57

#nslookup kppfs.axdev.corp
Server: 192.168.30.1
Address: 192.168.30.1#53

Name: kppfs.axdev.corp
Address: 192.168.30.2

#ping kppfs.axdev.corp
ping: cannot resolve kppfs.axdev.corp: Unknown host

Is this bug SL?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 20"

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 12:08 AM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2009 4:45 AM in response to iBookG5

Is your DNS server on 192.168.30.1 set up as the primary for the zone? I don't see an authority section in the dig response. (For a small network, there tends to be one primary forward zone, and one reverse zone.)

How many DNS servers are registered on and listed on the client? (Should be one, until and unless you have a secondary DNS server that's mirroring the current contents of your 192.168.30.1 DNS server.)

What do the following return?
+dig -x 192.168.30.1+
+dig -x 192.168.30.2+
+ping 192.168.30.2+

Oct 13, 2009 11:28 AM in response to Mowat22

Any answers to what? In all seriousness and without intending any snark here, +I also have this exact same Problem with SL. It comes and goes. Usually when a dns entry doesn't exist but then gets created.+ is not enough for me to build a specific response around.

Buggy DNS configurations or slow DNS resolutions can cause problems for the local site, and (depending on the particular IP addresses and DNS configuration in use) can cause problems Internet-wide.

If you don't know how to configure DNS, then you're going to have to read or experiment or attend classes or otherwise learn more (whatever works best for you), or you're going to have to call in somebody that does know from DNS, or you can out-source your DNS configuration or management, or (if you want to continue discussions here) we're going to need rather more detail about your current network configuration (firewall(s), any use of NAT, general wiring, router(s), etc) and around the DNS configuration.

Nov 22, 2009 7:21 AM in response to iBookG5

Hello!
Strange network problem. dig and nslookup work, but can't ping host. Only reboot help and sometime dscacheutil -flushcache.

I had the same problem on my installation.

I have solved this when I remove the "localhost" (127.0.0.1) which was listed as forwarder in my DNS configuration of Mac OS X server. It's logical but the question is: "Is it normal that localhost is listed by default?"

Nov 22, 2009 8:02 AM in response to piotr58

For a local DNS configuration where you are running your own DNS server.... The NIC-level DNS setting points to the local DNS server (which can be localhost, if you're looking at the NIC directly on the local DNS box), and (only) the DNS server points to the forwarder; to the ISP DNS server(s).

The local boxes and their local NICs (other than via the DNS server(s) you're running) do not point to the ISP.

[Establishing A DNS Server On Snow Leopard|http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436]

Feb 16, 2010 8:37 PM in response to MrHoffman

I had a similar problem, but I solved it! The main reason in my case is that the DNS search order was reversed. I use two dns servers, the primary dns is for my intra network and the secondary dns is for the extra network.

When I run the following command:

$ping my.intra.server

the secondary dns responded, so I removed the secondary dns entry from /etc/resolve.conf then it worked very well.

ping cannot resolve, but dig and nslookup work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.