Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

users can't log in to server after X number of computers connect

I'm running a Leopard server with unlimited number of connections in a high school setting. It is set for an Open Directory master. After "X" number of students login, the students get a server error and no additional students can't login to their accounts. I logged into one of the student machines as admin and tried to connect to the server using the "Go-->Connect to Server" with their user ID and password. Here is the message that was returned:"This fileserver will not allow any additional users to log on. Please try to connect again later." Any ideas out there? Thanks for the look.

intel Xserve, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 10 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 11:39 AM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2009 7:52 PM in response to hoon44

The next step is to open Console (or Terminal, or access the logs via ServerAdmin if you prefer) and look at the logs. I've never seen a similar issue, so I can't even begin to guess what's happening. AFP logs would be a good place to start, but poke around whatever other logs that may be relevant and see if there are any clues. I have seen Servers have issues with all connections, but never more than a certain number, and 8 makes no sense.

Can you elaborate any more on what your network looks like and how exactly your server is setup, and how you set it up?

users can't log in to server after X number of computers connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.