Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes freezes when renaming movies

i try and rename a movie in my itunes and it gives me the spinning wheel of death..any ideas??
Itunes 9

quad 2.8, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 5:41 PM

46 replies

Dec 30, 2009 2:44 AM in response to john younger

I have encountered the exact same problem, iTunes becoming unresponding and freezing when trying to rename a movie - but not only causes this iTunes to crash, it also *corrupts the movie files* rendering them useless in both iTunes and Quicktime and even VLC! (Like described here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2016979)

The files i renamed where created by Quicktime (converted an other movie to Apple-TV and iPhone format) so the files should have been fine...

Doesn't help making me confident letting iTunes handle my files... Didn't even have a Backup of those movies 😟

Jul 11, 2010 5:29 PM in response to WildClyde

I have this issue as well. It started a couple versions ago and continued into version 9.2. This has happened around 10 times for me. When renaming a movie in iTunes you will get the beach ball. It will run forever if you let it. I have let it sit for hours and it keeps running. You have to force quit iTunes and after you do the movie file is completely corrupted. The file will have to be deleted and re-ripped. If anyone else has this issue let us know. Also if anyone has a workaround or fix let us know that as well!

Sep 9, 2010 11:32 AM in response to tbharber

I'm having this problem as well. When trying to rename a movie file in iTunes, I get the beach ball for a good one or two minutes. So far, I've just let it do it's thing and none of my files have been corrupted. I'm doing this because I have a DVD series and I want the file names to be shorter so I can see which number I'm playing on my iPhone. Perhaps instead of renaming the files, I should just edit the tag information? Any rate, changing the file names takes FOREVER!

Also, when it was taking a particularly long time, I went into finder and tried to open another movie file. After a minute or so, it started playing in iTunes. Maybe this somehow got iTunes to "wake up"?

Jan 11, 2011 7:52 AM in response to sickguilt

Hoping to ressurect this thread...

I am in the process of transferring my iTunes library and (perhaps) "life" over to an iMac 27 from a Windows PC; however, I am having some issues with my iTunes Library. Specifically, I am unable to update the metatag data (i.e. rename files) for movies in my iTunes library. iTunes freezes and the "beachball" continues to spin into eternity, until I "force quit" the application. I've also noticed that it ends up corrupting the files and rendering them useless, which forces me to reconvert them for compatibility with an iPod using Quicktime.

My iTunes library resides on a NAS connected via a 100 Mbps wired connection.

The following is the link to another thread on the same topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12672172&#12672172

Hopefully, someone has found an answer.

Mar 29, 2011 8:53 PM in response to ladygeekgeek

Same issue...tried to change the genre...spinning rainbow of death, had to force quit iTunes, now that file is corrupted. Happened on 6 different .m4v files...seems like all the ones that were converted from .mkv files.

Definitely a bug, can't tell if it is an iTunes bug, or something to do with the metadata that MKV tools creates (?) for the m4v file.

itunes freezes when renaming movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.